My good pal, Matt Miller, The Moble Gadgeteer blogger over a ZDNet, gives a good demo and detailed instructions on how to tether the Nokia N95's integrated GPS and modem with the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, all via Bluetooth. Basically, you need Symarctic ExtGPS app installed on the N95 which will allow other devices (mac, pc, linux included) to use its GPS, a data plan to have the N95 connect to the internet, and Maemo Mapper. What is interesting is that both the GPS and modem are working together via one (or maybe two) Bluetooth connection(s) to the N800. Thanks Matt! Read Matt's full writeup.
Read the full article.

This is a great solution. I've tried this before and can never figure out how to do it. Symarctic ExtGPS is the key app here that makes all these possible.

Btw, the N95 actually has an assisted GPS (aGPS) option that makes use of the cell towers together with the GPS so it can get a fix to the satellites in view faster. It is 3.5G compatible too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Clarification - the N95-3 is 3.5G capable in the US and the N95 is 3G capable in other parts of the world. I'll be testing this, I am sure. Can't wait, actually.

Not tonight though... Tonight, my Chumby arrives.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Hmm are you sure, Im quite certain that n95-1 is 3.5g atleast in the europe, it supports the hsdpa but on different band than the one in use on the states, at least that's how they advertise it here in Finland. Anyway oh the topic, that seems like the ideal pairing, you don't need an external gps with the software and less stuff to carry = much more likely to have the tablet+gps etc. when you need them. I just yesterday started to think about whether you could send the internal gps over bluetooth while maintaining the serial protocoll compatibility. Thumbs up for the people who made it possible.

Does it work with Nokia's Maps app too?

As a n95 owner, I have to point out that the GPS is REALLY REALLY bad. It has 3-5 minute initial lock times and very poor receive sensitivity. You are much better off using a $30 Holux M-1000 bluetooth gps or the like if you are looking for an in-vehicle solution. If you are hopelessly lost somewhere and only have your n95 and n800 with you, I guess it would do in a pinch, but it is a decidedly inconvenient solution for those who need to use GPS frequently and who value their time.

Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Hmm are you sure, Im quite certain that n95-1 is 3.5g atleast in the europe, it supports the hsdpa but on different band than the one in use on the states, at least that's how they advertise it here in Finland.
Correct. N95-1 and N95-2 (aka 8GB) use UMTS/HSDPA 2100 MHz (Europe) and N95-3 uses UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 (US).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N95

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I was wondering how difficult would it be to make the connections the other way round (... or "other way around" ?) for the GPS.
I mean.. using the N810 as a Bluetooth GPS Receiver (having gpsd would mean that the N810 applications would still be able to use the internal GPS, while providing the GPS capabilities to a bluetooth laptop or whatsoever...

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As a n95 owner, I have to point out that the GPS is REALLY REALLY bad. It has 3-5 minute initial lock times and very poor receive sensitivity. .
Takes 30 seconds - 1 minute on mine..

Have you got the A-GPS update?

For those of you interested, I've just got this working.

Install the software for your Nokia - N95, N82, E60 or 6110 from

http://www.joiku.com/index.php?actio...product_id=351

Run the app from the "Apps" menue on the phone and allow it the connections (x2). Wait for it to lock on (one green light) which indicates a Nema 0183 protocol.

With Nokia Maps V2 loaded on your phone, this now supports AGPS, which improves the lock on time no end, compared to how it used to be.

Set the GPS as bluetooth in (my case) Maemo Mapper and choose your paired, Nokia phone. Launch MM. Job done.

If it doesn't work first time, reboot N800

App runs on the phone until you quit out, so you can still use it as a phone.

You can use the GPS signal and the data connection to your phone at the same time. Coooool.

I've got a data plan on my phone. How cool is this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Groover For This Useful Post: