Active Topics

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
I'm afraid you're mistaken. The Asha phones run Symbian Series 40. The 311 has a touch opptimized UI but at its core it's old S40. Microsoft didn't have much involvement with Asha at the time the 311 was released.
Its Nokia Series 40, its not Symbian Series 40. Symbian is Nokia Series 60, 80 and 90. S40 have nothing about Symbian.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Its Nokia Series 40, its not Symbian Series 40. Symbian is Nokia Series 60, 80 and 90. S40 have nothing about Symbian.
Well either way the point is there's no Meego on the Asha 311 like nirasha_user is insisting. It's an S40 dumbphone, there is no Meego. Microsoft is not "disguising" any part of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
Well either way the point is there's no Meego on the Asha 311 like nirasha_user is insisting. It's an S40 dumbphone, there is no Meego. Microsoft is not "disguising" any part of it.
I said it could be a highly stripped down version of MeeGo(plausible), their promotional material would disagree with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to nirasha_user For This Useful Post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44 <- Just close this thread..

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Unfortunately this is not possible and with a high certainity never will be.

Regardless on whether the bootloader is locked or not, no port is possible for a device which has undocumented HW.
Ports to Android-based devices are easy because there is existing linux kernel with working HW adaptation. Same goes for N900 and N9.

For all Ashas and Lumias, as well as for example iOS and BB devices this is not possible, ever.
"Ever" is a strong word. For example, iOS hardware is undocumented, but it has been reverse-engineered to the point that there is an Android port for certain iPhone models. Theoretically that same work could be used to port Meego or SailfishOS.

But as for the Asha series, forget it. The hardware is not worth it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44 <- Just close this thread..
I'm not trolling. What made you think that?

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
"Ever" is a strong word. For example, iOS hardware is undocumented, but it has been reverse-engineered to the point that there is an Android port for certain iPhone models. Theoretically that same work could be used to port Meego or SailfishOS.

But as for the Asha series, forget it. The hardware is not worth it.
I'd just like to do it as a way of learning things. Where do I start first? Point me.

Originally Posted by nirasha_user View Post
I'm not trolling. What made you think that?
we already answered you couple of times. S40 is not symbian and not meego, it contains none of symbian or meego parts, and it can't be replacced with any other operating system, and it can't launch any other applications.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
we already answered you couple of times. S40 is not symbian and not meego, it contains none of symbian or meego parts, and it can't be replacced with any other operating system, and it can't launch any other applications.
How would some users know what it contains or doesn't contain? Few other users are telling that it is possible. So who is trolling who? Why?

How would you know it is not Symbian or MeeGo? How would it doesn't contain parts of it? Maybe because of your intellectual limitations you feel it cannot be replaced with other OSes.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
The Palm treo 650 did also had an Android port.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nirasha_user View Post
How would some users know what it contains or doesn't contain? Few other users are telling that it is possible. So who is trolling who? Why?

How would you know it is not Symbian or MeeGo? How would it doesn't contain parts of it? Maybe because of your intellectual limitations you feel it cannot be replaced with other OSes.
compare:
coderus

nirasha_user

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia asha, opensourcephone