Closed Thread
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Apparently because it has "Block discard support", which among other things improves wear leveling on SSDs/flash/etc.. It does have SSD mode as well which does a few things to level wear. Apparently everything is about leveling wear.

Like I said before, it's weird that they chose it. My kernel is 3.10+, and look at what it says:

I mean.. it isn't so much of a problem if the format isn't finalised (assuming they are versioning it ;-) ), as migrating to btrfs is pretty straightforward. Still, I didn't have the courage to test it myself, but loads of people out there are using it.

I guess I'll start testing it with my Jolla [when it arrives]!
I was pleasantly surprised to see BtrFS in Jolla's Sailfish OS
Have been using* it since March of this year and it has been very stable (and sometimes useful).

* on openSuse 12.3 and now 13.1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eerde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Based on the two sets of UX questions I've asked in the Jolla UX thread (questions 1, questions 2) and their associated answers; here's what I'd like to see:

- contacts/people app that aggregates all of the events, media, comms log, social media of a person into one screen
- location supported in events - but also to be able to see a calendar view of all those location tagged items you might have done on your mobile
- a service like Nokia's Mobile Web Server or Samsung's Kies Air allowing you to log into your mobile from another device, deal with messaging, etc., update/delete apps, and even connect your Jolla to web services which might have an API, but not yet an app for SailfishOS

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I started working on a Sailfish-style two-paned filemanager. The first version will hopefully be available by the end of the week.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Is SMSCON being ported to Sailfish? And Backupmenu?

Also, in addition to the apps I've mentioned in earlier posts of this thread, I'm wondering whether someone is working on an application to sort app shortcuts in folders. I hate when all icons are at the same level, it can become very quickly messy if you have a lot of applications. Relevant sorting becomes difficult, and you have to browse between 3-4 pages, which is not convenient.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-08 at 21:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by velox View Post
On one hand, I've read on a german page that it supposedly runs on the device, on the other hand isn't GPS supposed to be unsupported in Aliendalvik?
It's not that GPS is unsupported, it's that it's "hit & miss" in terms of actually working, so it probably did work if that German page said it did.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
I have done the initial porting of meegopas to sailfish.
It runs mostky fine:
- I didn't do much fixes for the UI
- there are some quirks especially with the maps
- It cannot be submitted to the store because it uses unsupported API.
- I disabled cycling since I don't use it and was too lazy to fix it.
- Packaging is crap

Code is here https://github.com/foolab/Meegopas
RPM is here https://build.merproject.org/package...ailfish%3Aapps

I don't plan to do more fixes but it'd be nice if someone could take over.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
My Sailbox (dropN9 dropbox client port) is now available at store.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
- a service like Nokia's Mobile Web Server or Samsung's Kies Air allowing you to log into your mobile from another device, deal with messaging, etc., update/delete apps, and even connect your Jolla to web services which might have an API, but not yet an app for SailfishOS
I have no idea what those things are but there's a nifty little thing called ssh that I use to do all that plus just about anything you can imagine, with just a few shell scripts...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I would like to see Timesheet in my becoming Jolla. And ofcourse Pinball Fantasies and Tuxrace

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There exists a "clean untouched OS" baseline on the flash partitions, and when user does a device wipe by "settings->reset device" the filesystem state is rolled back to the baseline...
Props to Jolla for trying out something this experimental in a retail device!

I've been experimenting with this under Harmattan - setting restore points at any time, being able to mount and even boot to see the FS as it was at the time of the snapshot!

Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish