Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by fredrik_wendt View Post
To remove the association, open the address/phone book, find the contact and click the photo to start edit the details. At the bottom there should be "web link" looking like http://www.facebook.com/....... - you basically remove that contact field and the association is gone.
Tried that; when I retrieve again, data gets re-fetched.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by ChadiM View Post
Tried that; when I retrieve again, data gets re-fetched.
*doh* :P What you can do until (if ever) we add some way to "block" auto-associating a contact and friend is to change the URL of the contact. There's typically a part of the URL that looks like ?id=0000123456789 - if you change that number, it won't match any of your friends and therefor not get updated. (Just make sure it's not the ID of a "real" friend - change it to ?id=BLOCKED0000123456789 and you'll be safe.)

It'd be great if you could take the time to file a bug report and ask for a feature where we "block" auto-association for a certain contact. If you'd like to, go here: https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Hermes

Originally Posted by rantom View Post
I hope this goes to the right thread, since I couldn't find any relevant one. Anyways.

I like the idea. I do have friends on Facebook, that I also have on my phone and it is easier to update those infos for them from Facebook, if I just press "update". However, I'm not quite satisfied with this functionality.

Once I pressed update surely I did get the updates to my existing contacts? Nope. Those new updates were added to my list as new contacts, which really did surprise (and frustrate) me. Thankfully it was only 14 contacts (and I have Merge Contacts installed). However, I'm now hesitating to do the update again, since I'd have to (most likely) re-assign the names, again.

I'm not sure where this comes from but I'm assuming it's related to the way I display my contacts? I've chosen Surname, Firstname while Hermes automatically uses Firstname Surname. So in future versions (I'm not updating this from Extras-Devel/-Testing, not willing to risk my contacts getting messed up via update, no offence [and yet I'm using Merge Contacts from Extras-Testing...]) I'd like to see at least an option to add those new updates to already existing contacts, instead of creating completely new ones.

I'd also like to see a list where to choose from whom I'd like to get to my phone. Yes, I'm talking about a checking-list. I don't really see any idea on importing friends to my phone, if I don't have their number to call them. Sure, I can use the Facebook-chat but that's pretty much it (and e-mail, if they've provided one).

Other than that I have no complains about Hermes (though I think my feedback just trashed it, eh?). I hope you keep up the good work and we'll see even better version of it in future.
Hi. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

As you wrote yourself, there's an option to not add "birthday only" friends. That should solve one of your issues (I counted to three, and this would perhaps at least partially solve the check list request?)

The Surname, Firstname sounds interesting though - if you and your friend(s) don't mind, please provide an example of a name that should've matched, but didn't so we can reproduce that.

And, if you've merged the new duplicate contacts with the real ones, then Hermes should recognize that the next time you update/refresh and associate the merged (real) contact with the friend on Facebook (as long as you didn't remove the web page/link/URL from the merged contact).
(If somehow it doesn't work this way - because it should - please write here again and we'll find and fix the bug.)

Hope this helps to relieve some of your pain!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

As you wrote yourself, there's an option to not add "birthday only" friends. That should solve one of your issues (I counted to three, and this would perhaps at least partially solve the check list request?)
Where is this? I couldn't find it from Hermes.

The Surname, Firstname sounds interesting though - if you and your friend(s) don't mind, please provide an example of a name that should've matched, but didn't so we can reproduce that.
Well, it's a bit too late now, sorry. I already fixed my contacts but basically I did it like this (by the way, see bug #10721):
  1. Set the contacts in Surname, Firstname order.
  2. Launch Hermes.
  3. Press Refresh.
  4. You'll get contacts imported (after verification, if not already verified to Facebook).
  5. Hermes creates new contacts, that are in Firstname Surname order and as new contacts, instead of assigned Surname, Firstname to already existing contacts.

And as a sidenote, Hermes also automatically imports avatars from Facebook-users to the already existing and the new ones, without asking.

And, if you've merged the new duplicate contacts with the real ones, then Hermes should recognize that the next time you update/refresh and associate the merged (real) contact with the friend on Facebook (as long as you didn't remove the web page/link/URL from the merged contact).
(If somehow it doesn't work this way - because it should - please write here again and we'll find and fix the bug.)

Hope this helps to relieve some of your pain!
This worked fine, Hermes did not separate the already fixed contacts, since I did the Refresh again.

Thanks for the help though. I've already reported a bug to the Bugzilla regarding the birthday, see bug #11103.

Last edited by rantom; 2010-08-09 at 18:58. Reason: More info.

Originally Posted by rantom View Post
Where is this? I couldn't find it from Hermes.
Menu > Accounts > Facebook, or here (testing youtube and xvidcap): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTR0iOMSPiI

Menu > Accounts > Facebook, or here (testing youtube and xvidcap): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTR0iOMSPiI
Ah it's there. I thought Accounts is my accounts, since that setting (importing) would normally be under Options. Thanks for that.

And, as I said in the filed bug, the birthdays don't get imported. I get their name (alias in this case, since very few of my friends use the "name yourself what you want"-option aka real name [e.g. facebook.com/my.name]), I just get the end of the persons URL and that's it. Even the persons, who do show up their birthdays as it's fullest, do not get those imported.

Odd.

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Hi Guys!
Is there a chance that you will add support for www.xing.com to Hermes in the near future? https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8099

Hey guys.
I just recently used Hermes and it works great I have all my contacts updated with photos from facebook. I was just wondering why Hermes isnt updating my contacts/calendar with birthdays? Id really like to sync my phone with my facebook calendar. Help! Thanks in advance.

I've made some initial runs with Plaxo and it works fine. Haven't had time between work and kids to clean up the code and submit a patch though.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6991 - the request for Plaxo

I'm not sure if anyone's looking at LiveJournal.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6992 - the request for LiveJournal
I'd like to try Plaxo sync!

Originally Posted by chriswhiz View Post
Hey guys.
I just recently used Hermes and it works great I have all my contacts updated with photos from facebook. I was just wondering why Hermes isnt updating my contacts/calendar with birthdays? Id really like to sync my phone with my facebook calendar. Help! Thanks in advance.
See bug #11103. You can though try and create Birthday-only contacts from Hermes, it's explained in the bug. I won't bother testing that anymore though, since I'd have to delete contact and assume, that Hermes re-imports him/her to the list.

Tags
application, birthday, contact, contacts, facebook, fremantle, hermes, information, jaffa, maemo, maemo 5, photo, photos, sync, synchronization, twitter, url, website