Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ São Paulo (Brazil)
Hmm that makes me less frightened with the idea . Thanks!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by NicolasF View Post
That's obviously a lot but we don't know the exact figures for the SSD used in the N900 and we don't know how efficient is the algorithm (specially if the SSD has less empty space).
It doesn't work that way, the wear leveling is done on the level of the device (one of the advantages of it being an eMMC and not a plain NAND flash). It will shuffle blocks around reading and writing them in a manner that they all have a rougly same number of writes. The device doesn't even *know* about empty space (that's a filesystem level thing), it's all just blocks from it's perspective. Also note that wear leveling is just a part of the strategy, there are spare blocks, error correction algorithms, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Maybe its worth noting that clutter technically already supports multitouch through clutter-gestures which includes support for pinch zoom and whatnot, so maemo5 supports multitouch already in terms of the software just not hardware.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
guys.

if nokia or anybody else makes multitouch the default interaction mechanism in ANY OS then people will simply not use it.

there has to be a mechanism for off device development and i don't see most desktop or laptops even having touch with one finger, let alone multi.

sure - there might be some vulcan mind grips in the software but the developers who put them in will be doing themselves a diservice (especially with QT multiplatform development) if they rely on it.

/rant

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
A twitter message from Eldar Murtazin (Mobile-review):

Compared N9xx with Samsung Linux device. But they think is not ready for mass market, have to w8 until 2011. Even now S is better, like it

makes one wonder...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
A twitter message from Eldar Murtazin (Mobile-review):

Compared N9xx with Samsung Linux device. But they think is not ready for mass market, have to w8 until 2011. Even now S is better, like it

makes one wonder...
Yeah. The Russian dude with the stolen N900. Feel free to join the usual blather about it over here.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I suggest just ignoring him. Basically.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:

Tags
future, gestures, harmattan, maemo, maemo 6, multitouch, qt framework, speculation