Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Hi there:

First of all, for a few days I was scrolling through the nokia n9 threads, I didn't write a single post, because it's not the point of my research. Also I could not find a active or up to date topic relating to my question, which is really one big question, composed from many things I would like to ask you all.

But at the beginning, I'm already a owner of
-Nokia 770 (Power user, all tweaks and maemo os's involved)
Got this device for 3 months now
-Nokia N800 (Beginner, just bought it, and makeing the most of it)
Got this device for a month.
-Nokia N900 (Advanced user, everything I could read about or make with my own hands [Like Soldering the USB port for good] I already did, so its my magic toy)
Got few devices for 4 years, still got two and using one

And Im almost a owner of nokia n810, but is pretty much (I don't say it's the same) nokia n800 with somethings added, some removed. But still, it's NOT THE POINT (So don't say about it I just mentioned it for few reasons)

This is just the introduction for my own maemo/nokia linux-based devices journey.

And now I'm getting to the point

Yesterday I ordered a brand new nokia N9 64GB. So this is not about buy it or not, it's done.

My topic is about the my abilities (I'm rather an power user, not an developer) with what I can do with N9 nowdays.

I went through lot's of threads, video tutorials and stuff like that. I already know a lot of things (Or I think I know) about the N9, but since I never got the device in my hands is like sailing without a boat.

I can't compare n9 with android/windows/Ios devices, since I never got one and never will, but all the things including the sweeping in n9 looks pretty nice I can't understand the reason (I know, but still cant understand) why nokia go to windows instead of getting more from maemo/megoo devices.

So I repeating myself:
My topic is about the my abilities (I'm rather an power user, not an developer) with what I can do with N9 nowdays. What about the megoo funcionality? All can can read is about new problems rising, but since I got n900 for everyday usage it's not a nightmare, rather a challenge.

But we cant hide the thing that megoo, and maemo, even through things like Diablo-Turbo is dying, the community only slows down the thing that will come to an end.

I still wanna go with megoo for some time cause I never used this os. Never going to remove it for my n9, but I will for sure install new os as a neighbour. So this is another question.

I dont want android, I aiming for sailifish, but I want the quick and smooth os with lot's of features as for everyday stuff, like calling, writing and so.

So I asking you all one again with one question.

What is the today perfect setup for n9?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Depends on what is your use case?

some key words
open mode kernel
ubiboot
openrepos
warehouse
ancelads repo mirror deb package (openrepos)
emoji fix
(n9qtweak), not using it myself

and hundreds more
but with above you get it going and ready for all tweaking

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Depends on what is your use case?

some key words
open mode kernel
ubiboot
openrepos
warehouse
ancelads repo mirror deb package (openrepos)
emoji fix
(n9qtweak), not using it myself

and hundreds more
but with above you get it going and ready for all tweaking
Everyday use and tweaker use, something like:

"Look what my n9 can do, I bet your iphone cant!"

Open mode kernel - first of all.
Ubiboot will be needed,
Repos, all about the repos, nokia store is down for what I know, so can I relate on open repositories? How much support is there, comparing to, hmm, n900?

I might step down with overclock since I've heard of bunch of easily fried n9's

Also, Im all about the console tweaking, but I guess it is pre-installed already?

Boot from sd card is impossible so what can you say about the speed and timing of built in flash memory?

I might need repartitioning, and Im guessing it is possible to do it under the system console, how many partitions can I have?

Answer to some of my questions of course if you can, so I will probably come up with new ones, since I like step by step solutions (Not asking for how-to's, just like to post up a little bit)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
Everyday use and tweaker use, something like:

"Look what my n9 can do, I bet your iphone cant!"
😃
Open mode kernel - first of all.
Ubiboot will be needed,
with ubiboot you will get open mode
installation and all is included in package and thread
Repos, all about the repos, nokia store is down for what I know, so can I relate on open repositories? How much support is there, comparing to, hmm, n900?
lots of support and still ongoing development (okay, slower pace)
comparable to n900 repo? hmm, different beasts
openrepos does not have an autobuilder and no sources
I might step down with overclock since I've heard of bunch of easily fried n9's
never ever had my n9 overclocked. And did not see the need to do so (different story with my n900)

Also, Im all about the console tweaking, but I guess it is pre-installed already?
not pre-installed
needs to be activated / downloaded from repo mirror
essential: ancelad's repo mirror package

Boot from sd card is impossible so what can you say about the speed and timing of built in flash memory?
SD card???
in-built is fast enough
but could get faulty, there are a few examples where the flash worn out or got read only

I might need repartitioning, and Im guessing it is possible to do it under the system console, how many partitions can I have?
of course you can do, sfdisk
default is 3 partitions
maximum is 7 partitions (where 1of7 is placeholder only, extended)

Answer to some of my questions of course if you can, so I will probably come up with new ones, since I like step by step solutions (Not asking for how-to's, just like to post up a little bit)
here you go ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-06-23 at 06:20. Reason: n9 vkb :(

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Ok, thank you for fast answering

Now I can see some different's between n9 and n900.
I will be missing my hardware keyboard, but I hope that multi-touch will be some kind of consolation prize.
What I mean I can get used to touch-screen keyboard, yeah, what about that? Touch keyboard of 770 or n800 can be really annoying

If the phone is still supported by the community that's all right, even very good, I couldn't go so far with my n900 if the community was down.

About the over-clock. I assume that OMAP3630 acts alike the older brother 3430, what I mean jumping trough frequencies depends on usage? If so, I already might have an answer that would be possible to fix it at one freq, even down-clocked?

High amount of ram looks nice on paper, I bet the phone could do some "hard" multitasking?

Not pre-installed X-terminal It was meant to be a phone, so I can see the reason and it's all right I think. Nokia 770 didin't have it pre-installed either and it was pretty much tablet, but it's kinda different story.

I was simply joking about the SD card, but lack of hardware buttons seems a little strange to me

And finally, the read-only problem I've already faced once or twice, and since I remember correctly it wasn't that hard to fix (on n900).

Woha, wait, got another one

What about the camera? Just simple compare with n900 5-mpix would be nice

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Just so you guys know, I'm a long-time N900 user, but am completely new to the N9, so I'm following this to get myself started on the device a bit faster also.

Thanks a lot for sharing all this info, Peter

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
The vkb is much better than on n900. But still I am not fully used to and make lots of typos. There is also Swype available.
But there are no buttons for left/right/up/down. And again there is a tweak for almost all kind of keyboards available (I am using mainly n900 layout de/en).

The read-only on n900 you mention is just a file system prob (not really a prob). I am talking about real failure of flash memory.

RAM is much more nice but still we can get to the edge.
There are tweaks for sharing mtd4 as additional swap (but did not bother to do so as I used mtd4 for ubiboot). And it will burn the ubi system on that partition.

HW buttons? What for? All is swiping here!
Camera I would say is on pair (since n95! ).

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
The vkb is much better than on n900. But still I am not fully used to and make lots of typos. There is also Swype available.
But there are no buttons for left/right/up/down. And again there is a tweak for almost all kind of keyboards available (I am using mainly n900 layout de/en).
left/right/up/down and additional buttons (home, end, page up, page down, select all, cut/copy/paste) are available with Swype by long pressing the "123 +!=" button (bottom left) once, then long pressing the "edit ABC" button (same place).

I found this by chance a few month ago, after 4 years of using Swype on my N9 !

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tcheupa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tcheupa View Post
left/right/up/down and additional buttons (home, end, page up, page down, select all, cut/copy/paste) are available with Swype by long pressing the "123 +!=" button (bottom left) once, then long pressing the "edit ABC" button (same place).

I found this by chance a few month ago, after 4 years of using Swype on my N9 !
This is THE message of the year!
Unbelievable!!!
Thanks for this find. Makes me want to try Swype once more...

I would like to know how many people knew this?

And it has full text selection with copy, cut n paste. All in-built (only with the Swype vkb). And also arrow buttons work as expected in terminal!
(something Jolla should have had since day one, but not yet (except tohkbd))
Attached Images

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-07-28 at 20:05.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland
Glad to help !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tcheupa For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, nokia n9