Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
Is there any way that this can be done and still allow custom kernels (e.g. titan's)??

Thanks for the update, too. Actively engaging your community early and often will definitely benefit both your users and your team. (see any PR1.2 thread for a counter-example).
Part of the patches that was published was kexec patches, which is already in titan's kernel. That'd be the sanest method for dual-booting other kernels.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I was unable to attend this week's meeting.
Wasn't this week's meeting postponed anyway?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Wasn't this week's meeting postponed anyway?
No, that was last week's, due to LFcollab.

Minutes at http://trac.tspre.org/meetbot/meego-...-21-18.58.html - check the logs too, a quite interesting discussion about openness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
Is there any way that this can be done and still allow custom kernels (e.g. titan's)??

Thanks for the update, too. Actively engaging your community early and often will definitely benefit both your users and your team. (see any PR1.2 thread for a counter-example).
As an addition to this: I just really hope the "new" kernels contain the necessary NAT support for things like WiFi Hotspotting. (unless that's already been worked around and my information is outdated... I still have a lot of unread stuff over the past month or so.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I think it's closer to the definition of a hardware adaptation team. You need that to work before you bring in the fun things.
Understood, and I do not want to give the impression that I'm anything but thrilled by this announcement and the work that is underway. Thank you, Nokia! Thank you, everyone working on this project!

What is happening is that Nokia's actively upstreaming the patches for the N900 and maintaining a hardware adaptation. Isn't this great?
Yes!

I simply foresee this news being read by many as "Harmattan is coming to the N900". Then, later, if Nokia doesn't provide the Harmattan UX and proprietary applications for MeeGo on the N900, I can see angry cries of "Nokia lied to us!"

I just wanted to know if Nokia has as yet clarified their intentions as to the UX layer and applications. If they haven't, that's understandable. If they have, then I'd like to know so I'm able to supply the correct information when questions arise.

Either way, I'm very, very happy about this project.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-04-23 at 12:44. Reason: removing part of Stskeeps' text that slipped into my own

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
That was an interesting read. Thank you!

Sounds like there are plans to enable MeeGo for Maemo5 after all, and with double boot and everything! I'm impressed!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
As an addition to this: I just really hope the "new" kernels contain the necessary NAT support for things like WiFi Hotspotting. (unless that's already been worked around and my information is outdated... I still have a lot of unread stuff over the past month or so.)
What does Harri mean by the "atom", .28 and .33 kernel references ? How are these related to the PC based kernels ?

What is the full version number and name of these kernels ?

Do they build the same ? Can one enable the same kernel options ?

Thanks

Last edited by me2000; 2010-04-22 at 16:05.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I just wanted to know if Nokia has as yet clarified their intentions as to the UX layer and applications. If they haven't, that's understandable. If they have, then I'd like to know so I'm able to supply the correct information when questions arise.
All the clues indicates that Nokia has made a decision whether to support Meego on N900 officially or not. @qgil even told that users could decide to stay on Maemo or upgrade to Meego, but I agree with you that there should be a clear statement since the information now is all spread through this forum and Meego mailing lists. A couple of days ago I checked the wiki about "What we can realistic expect from Meego on N900" and there was no update regarding this Meego to N900 project.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by vielfrass View Post
....As already discussed by Valtteri in TSG meeting, we are looking into going more open mode shortly. One reason why we have done this on this way is that at the same time we have been trying to handle opening of many currenly closed components that are needed in MeeGo and to build feasible MeeGo images for N900.
Max
This is great news and thanks for posting the status here.

Just one question. When you talk about opening closed components are we talking about stuff like functionality of the phone app and battery management?

With this kind of commitment hopefully we will be rewarded with an open and active platform.

I think Nokia have earned major brownie points with this.

Now I am excited.

Definitely time for cake.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
All the clues indicates that Nokia has made a decision whether to support Meego on N900 officially or not. @qgil even told that users could decide to stay on Maemo or upgrade to Meego, but I agree with you that there should be a clear statement since the information now is all spread through this forum and Meego mailing lists. A couple of days ago I checked the wiki about "What we can realistic expect from Meego on N900" and there was no update regarding this Meego to N900 project.
Looks like I should have been little bit more specific. I did not announce any new activity, we are still talking about the same project that we announced way back, see

http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

Please remember that MeeGo is about open source os, and product decisions for Nokia will be made by another people / scope.

Personally I feel that it is too early now to talk about MeeGo as productized platform for N900.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post: