Notices

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
I have the following problem;
the region of South Kitchener is too course to navigate on and large parts of the map is covered by labels:

This is a sceenshot of Kitchener, Ontario.
The top part is fine, but the bottom is too dittered and the word Kitchener is covering several streets.

Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Your changes will be visible approximately
  • usually within some minutes in online search results in Marble
  • a couple of minutes or hours later in the map shown on openstreetmap.org (see also here)
  • approximately 7 days later in Marble (but you can use the download region feature to force a reload of tiles to get changes much earlier)
  • 1-14 days in offline search (assuming you update the monav offline map for that region inside Marble)
I verified it in OSM and there the level of detail is top notch.
How come it is not properly translated into the Ontario map?
I just reloaded the maps in Monav, but no improvement?

Please explain what I'm missing here...

P.s.
I really like the GPS info. Thanks!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Today went out on a trip and routing is broken

I noticed that the GPS is not enabled with Marble.
Loaded another app and GPS turned on and works.
It's just not working with Marble/Monav.

Got home and reinstalled everything.
I had erlier updated the Ontario map and when I checked the Monav config, I noticed it had loaded 2 versions of Ont.
I deleted both and wanted to reload the most current.
Now I cannot select a continent nor country.

So reboot nor reinstall served to solve my problems.
What can I do to regain use for this appl.?

It all looked so bright, but its now completely broken!

I've just checked it with my device, an GPS is working (enabling) fine with Marble. It seems that problems is on Your device's side.

/Estel

// Edit

earthwings, some time ago You've requested comments on kinetic scrolling implementation in current Marble version (N900). While it's nice feature, I find it very hard to lift my finger after drag'n'drop scrolling map, without "invoking" unwanted kinetic scrolling. I haven't reported it yet, cause I though I may just need to practice it - yet, after so long testing time, I'm quite sure it's not only me, but existent problem.

Also, is there any settings option to disable kinetic scrolling alltogether? I think, that in some use cases, it would be blessing, even after fine-tuning it.

Thanks a lot for keeping updates for N900.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-03-27 at 07:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ipoh, Malaysia
Is there any way (other than downloading tiles before hand) to have offline map data with Marble on N900? Something like how Navit uses pre-downloaded vector maps from Cloudmade/Openstreet.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Not yet for real usage. I'll mentor a GSOC project starting this month however that aims at fixing that, see the proposal by Ander here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Also, is there any settings option to disable kinetic scrolling alltogether? I think, that in some use cases, it would be blessing, even after fine-tuning it.
Yes, please add possibility to turn that off or remove at all

About osmarender maps - today discovered, that it displays only the whole world map and no way to zoom in. Is it some temporary problem or...?

The Following User Says Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
in version 1.3, which folder contains the custom voice navigation files which come preloaded with it.

American English - Bugsbane (male) etc

Audio does not work and i wonder which version of ogg-support was it that was working. Kindly for someone that audio is working, let me know the ogg-support ver #

thx.

Last edited by niqbal; 2012-06-19 at 13:15.

Is no one following Marble anymore? Kindly reply .. for someone that audio for navigation is working, which ogg-support version have they installed?

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
Is no one following Marble anymore? Kindly reply .. for someone that audio for navigation is working, which ogg-support version have they installed?
I guess it is related to that: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=743
In my case the audio is not working now.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Marble 1.4 brings some gradual improvements to the existing features. It is available in extras-devel now. Please report problems/success here.
  • Support for OSRM, MapQuest routing backends
  • The voice navigation mode now also supports routes retrieved from OpenRouteService
  • Much more voice navigation speakers to choose from, installed automatically as needed. Note that there's no progress report in the N900 version when selecting a remote speaker, please just give it some time to download the file (they are between 0.5 and 5 MB each). Afterwards the speaker is available offline of course.
  • Support for additional turn types (used by MapQuest, e.g. merging or exiting a highway/motorway), more voice commands (like GPS connection lost)

Additionally we have
  • Kinetic spinning can be switched on/off (in the main menu). Some people strongly voted to keep it, some hate it. After all we had an odd number of main menu entries, so I went for the pragmatic solution to add a "Kinetic scrolling" toggle button to the main menu. I'm sure the remaining core Maemo users don't mind that UI clutter too much :-)
  • Bookmarks are also shown in the map now

Last but not least I uploaded a "new" version of monav-routing-daemon whose only purpose is to kick out the incompatible version 0.3.release-3+hg5585bb4a8d77. That worked fine, so you don't have to do any manual work anymore to get rid of that version previously found in extras-devel; just upgrade to the version the package manager offers after the next sync.

@niqbal: Voice navigation works fine here, do you still have problems with it?

@acrux: There seems to be some problem with osmarender indeed, I'll look into it.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900