I WANT the 770 to be alive and vibrant. New apps coming out every month. Useful apps. Popular apps (like SKYPE!...GoogleTalk is so bogus without multi-party talk). Lots of chat by people who use and love their 770's. Enthusiasm.

I don't see it.

I love my 770, use it many times a day. Have every possible app on it. But I'm a tech numbskull. I can't do Linux, much less readable English!

Now Sony comes out with a technically far inferior product. But if they get behind it (which Nokia has not done...) it will take off far beyond the 770.

Come on Nokia...get the 770 going. Give us apps, even if they are for pay. Get upgrades and other encouragements. Make this wonderful little piece of hardware ALIVE!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to albertkarel For This Useful Post:
Come on. It's been barely over a month since Nokia gave us a whole new OS that completely face-lifted the little bugger, and already we have more than we ever saw in the previous eigth months with OS2005. Aren't people ever satisfied ? :-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
No!

If we were the easily satified kind, we'd buy Sonys.

What, a memory stick ? Never :-)

I find I just use the built in functions on my 770 now. I think the only extra currently installed on it (since I upgrades to 2006 OS) is PLCreator. I do use it every day though for listening to MP3s, watching video, email and web browsing. Unfortunately all those apps are crappy! Well, the web browsing is OK.

I found the same thing back in my Palm Pilot days. I used to download and try everything. I even did some development of my own on it. But ultimately I ended up just using the functions it was designed for and did well. Notes, address book, task list, calender. Now I wish the 770 would do those basic functions as well. I still use my old Palm 5 as my main address book and password holder.

So, I love my 770 but I wish it would do the basic functions better. Oh, and that is didn't crack at the bottom

Oh, I should add that yesterday I was watching the latest episode of Top Gear on my 770 while waiting for the bus and I was so engrossed in it I got on the entirerly wrong bus and ended up kind of in the middle of no where.

Still, the video quality was great! Media Converter is the only other 770 app I use all the time and that isn't even a 770 app!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you want a closed system that, 6 months later, does what it did when you first took it out of the box, the Mylo is for you. I don't mean this as an insult, I don't mean this sarcastically. The 770, which I dub my 'crack tablet' because it's so addictive, has large appeal to those who like to tinker. After a two year hiatus from Linux, I've now got a P4 laptop with Fedora Core 5 on it and working wireless. The amount of stuff I've begun learning again is amazing. I didn't think my alcohol rattled brain could do things like that anymore.

My point, completely avoided above, is that there are trade offs. I agree, a lot of the out-of-the-box apps perform like complete crap on the 770... but they're running on open architecture that allows an infinite number of other apps to be written for it. I'd liken the OS the Mylo is running to be similar to what the XBOX/PSP runs (unmodded of course) and the 770 (forgive me for this, it's an analogy) to be like XP. The firmware on your XBOX/PSP doesn't crash because it's like an idiot savant. It knows several tasks very well. XP however crashes and burns because you can do whatever you like with it. (Well. Except have a good end-user experience).