Active Topics

Notices

Is it possible to port a Windows game that has a requirment of a 3d graphic card with 8-16 mb and needs directx 7
and if the game would be open source?

What do I need to know to port? I need to port a complete engine to maemo 5? And would it also be easy to port it to meego then.

I also want to implement a multiplayer in it.
I hope for good answers.

Thanks

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
It is possible, but the PowerVR SGX530 on the N900 only has 4MB VRAM and no DirectX support. You'll have to either to DX->GL in software like Wine, or rewrite the engine.

I think using new tech could reduce the size of textures.

How to port? Any guides? What do I need to learn?
Quake 3 also works on N900 and has a requirment of 8MB too.

I really want to port my favourite game to a mobile phone,
that would be one of my dreams/goals.

I dont know if it is worth it, because meego is already comming out and no one knows how many people will actually use meego.

But I want to implement a multiplayer too and want active players to test it and play the game online.

Would I be aple to easily port it to meego then?

Can someone with experience post me answers?

Update.
How to port a game to maemo/meego/android?
I'am really interested in this, I want to code something.
What do I need to learn?

Thanks

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
1. The first question you need to ask is: Is it open sourced?

2. If it is you would have to modify the code to be able to give instructions for the ARM architecture. This game is probably designed for X86.

3. You would have to rewrite the engine for opengl instead of DirectX. Wine may be able to run it even if it is DX, but well..I hardly think it would run well. The requirements are already over what the N900 can handle.

4. You would need to be familiar with game development. It probably uses C or C++.

In short, you would have to completely rewrite everything. You must understand that the game is designed for a different OS, different hardware and different architecture. Plus you would have to modify the input method instead of mouse to touchscreen. Isn't there maybe a similar game for PSX or N64?