Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I dont understand this hostility. This is why products like ipad3 are selling like hotcakes. They are even calling them resolutionary. Are 50,000,000 people that will buy these devices wrong? i loved the N900 resolution, and I was real disappointed that N9 is nothing like it. The letters are fuzzy, broken and only when magnified look normal. I still dont understand why NOKIA cant improve on what N900 had in terms of resolution. N9 is a huge step backward.
You have a point.

Next time you could maybe try to leave out retina and Apple when trying to make it.

Although many people like the amoled display it sets me back in the same way you describe. " The letters are fuzzy, broken and only when magnified look normal." Especially on the N9, the worst I have seen.
Before I thought the N8 was below my standard.

And my latest eye test has been a month ago, all perfect.

Summarized:
amoled to its fans but Nokia should also offer optional high res, high PPI LCD displays with Harmattan.
And of course with resistive touch screen + stylus.

How difficult can it be.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I have both an N900 and N9 on my desk and to my eyes the N9 looks way better, sure the text on the n900 is clearer when it is small. But when set at that level my ageing eyes can't read it anyway. Beside the extra size fo the N9 display ofsets any difference. And the true blacks are lovely

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If you were to go by the numbers...

Nokia Lumia 800: 3.7 inch screen @ 800px by 480px = 252.15 ppi
Nokia N9: 3.9 inch screen @ 854px by 480px = 251.19 ppi

1 extra pixel per inch in favor of the Lumia 800. I'm quite sure it makes all the difference, but there's a very slight advantage in regards to pixel per inch; which relates directly to the OP statements of why Nokia should use the 325ppi or so (less for the New iPad) "Retina" type screen.

Not taking up for anybody. Just stating the facts.
Lumia has a brightness of 208(!) nits

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5266/43151.png

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If you were to go by the numbers...

Nokia Lumia 800: 3.7 inch screen @ 800px by 480px = 252.15 ppi
Nokia N9: 3.9 inch screen @ 854px by 480px = 251.19 ppi

1 extra pixel per inch in favor of the Lumia 800. I'm quite sure it makes all the difference, but there's a very slight advantage in regards to pixel per inch; which relates directly to the OP statements of why Nokia should use the 325ppi or so (less for the New iPad) "Retina" type screen.

Not taking up for anybody. Just stating the facts.
Is the Lumia resolution excluding the pixels for the soft touch buttons?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Is the Lumia resolution excluding the pixels for the soft touch buttons?
I do believe so. But don't take my word as gospel on that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Lumia has a brightness of 208(!) nits

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5266/43151.png
Wait... I get what you're saying, but no disrespect meant but from what I saw, it's bright enough for usage.

Makes me wonder where the N9 fits on that scale as well.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
from my point of view, "apple" is a stupid name for a company, people are buing **** because they start with "i", "retina" display is an incredible stupid name for whatewer technology want's to be.
people will buy stuff only for the fancy names.
50.000.000 peole who buy something means that from 7.000.000.000 people, some are hipnotized and act like monkeis, does not mean they are right. ( remember germany, i'm sure they believed they have blue blood at one moment ).

i'm tired of the "new" technologies who do less than previous one's.
i'm tired of OS were u can't customize a bit, i'm tired of fake news and fake creators. i'm tired of "mondial echonomy", sales strategy, sales consultants, sales, -50%, black friday, black month.

so please, take your "retina", and see if your eye have same resolution, dpi, and whatewer, and alwais remember - u don't see with eyes, your brain do all the work.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioncelmare For This Useful Post:
@ ioncelmare

You mad bro?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
just tired of salesman over here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioncelmare For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ioncelmare View Post
from my point of view, "apple" is a stupid name for a company, people are buing **** because they start with "i", "retina" display is an incredible stupid name for whatewer technology want's to be.
people will buy stuff only for the fancy names.
50.000.000 peole who buy something means that from 7.000.000.000 people, some are hipnotized and act like monkeis, does not mean they are right. ( remember germany, i'm sure they believed they have blue blood at one moment ).
i'm tired of the "new" technologies who do less than previous one's.
i'm tired of OS were u can't customize a bit, i'm tired of fake news and fake creators. i'm tired of "mondial echonomy", sales strategy, sales consultants, sales, -50%, black friday, black month.
so please, take your "retina", and see if your eye have same resolution, dpi, and whatewer, and alwais remember - u don't see with eyes, your brain do all the work.
I guess someone is really jealous of success. A normal human reaction. The 800x480 resolution that nokia phones carry is sooooooo yesterday. Windows found a hardware handicapped Nokia as a partner. Lumia 800 visual experience on my phone is better than N9, but still inferior to iPhone 4s. Retina display or whatever you want to call it is truly superior. Read the links above by resolution experts.

Tags
godwin’s law, pentile, screen res