Poll: Is your N9 in open mode?
Poll Options
Is your N9 in open mode?

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
A cgroups mod to make N9 less laggy.

This version is very different from the 0.0.2, it is not a memory mod anymore. Now the app modify a configuration file in the phone to change the priorities the processes have in using the CPU.

My experience is that all lags are gone (except shortly after reboot). Please use it at least for a day before taking any conclusions.

Do REBOOT after installing.

PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE INSTALLING. THIS IS A TESTING VERSION, THERE MAY BE PROBLEMS (tough I've been using it for a week and had no problems so far). ANYWAY, BE AWARE YOU MAY EVEN LOOSE DATA AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.

DO NOT INSTALL IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO REFLASH YOUR PHONE. THIS IS A TESTING VERSION, ONLY BRAVE PEOPLE SHOULD INSTALL.

For installing, download the package and click it.
For uninstalling, open settings, then applications, the Applications Manager: Settings->Applications->Applications manager

If this app made you happy, please remember to donate. I lost some weeks and some money while developing this mod, as I didn't know I had limited downloads for the apps I bought in the store (reflashed my phone many times and now have to pay again for the apps).

Thank you all for your feedback, it helped a lot.

The last version is 0.9.2. Version 0.0.2 is deprecated.
New version in the first post.

ONLY INSTALL IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH REFLASHING YOUR PHONE. THIS IS A TESTING VERSION.

Thank you all for your replies. Donation link in the first post if this mod made you happy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2012 @ São Paulo, Brazil
This version is really great! Now, my N9 has no lag and the battery consumption is much better. =)
I mean... It really has no lag!

Good job.

Donating as soon as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brudhu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Brudhu View Post
This version is really great! Now, my N9 has no lag and the battery consumption is much better. =)
I mean... It really has no lag!

Good job.

Donating as soon as possible.
Reduced battery consumption is really unexpected...

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi Traysh,

Downloading and trying it now. Are you able to provide a little more information about what priorities you changed?

Also, just out of curiosity, did you consider doing an updated FasterN9 with slightly higher ram for background processes, say 20-30mb instead of 10mb?

Thanks.

p.s. I hope that your girlfriend is recovering?

The Following User Says Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jpfsn View Post
Hi Traysh,

Downloading and trying it now. Are you able to provide a little more information about what priorities you changed?
The cgroups are:

default:
root/system/applications (cpu.shares = 4*1024)
root/system/applications/standby (cpu.shares = 1024)
root/system/applications/standby/transient (cpu.shares = 1024)
root/system/desktop (cpu.shares = 3*1024)
root/system/background (cpu.shares = 1024)

fastern9:
root/system/applications (cpu.shares = 4*1024)
root/system/standby_ui (cpu.shares = 2)
root/system/standby_ui/transient (cpu.shares = 1024)
root/system/desktop (cpu.shares = 3*1024)
root/system/background (cpu.shares = 2)

So, what is the meaning of that?
Suppose only 2 apps want to use the CPU, one in the desktop group and another in the applications group. The one in the applications group will be allowed to use it for 4/7 of the time and the one in the desktop group will use it for 3/7 of the time.

Now suppose one app is in the standby group and the other is in the desktop group (in the original config). The app in the standby group will stil have 4/7 of the time and the one in the desktop, 3/7, because the stanby group is a child of the applications group. After my mod, the app in the standby_ui group will have 2/(3*1024+2) of the time and the one in the desktop group will have (3*1024)/(2+3*1024) of the time. Of course, if the app in the desktop group finishes using the CPU, the one in the standby will be alowed to use it for more time.

So, the desktop and the active apps have a higher priority. Also, some processes are by default moved to groups they shouldn't be in. For example, smartsearch is moved to standby shortly after reboot in the default config. I fixed that in my mod.

Also, just out of curiosity, did you consider doing an updated FasterN9 with slightly higher ram for background processes, say 20-30mb instead of 10mb?
The RAM of the background processes is back to it's original, 72MB.

p.s. I hope that your girlfriend is recovering?
She still can't walk and everything, but her bones are getting better. Another month and she will be good again, thanks for asking.

In the new version some of the core apps open much slower than by default, the browser, phone, email for example. I think these are the ones preloaded by booster, any change this mod somehow borks that? But it definitely reduces lag, good work on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to smph For This Useful Post:
Yes, but only the first time you open them after reboot, right? Or you get that every time?

No it persists, at least for the browser and email.

The Following User Says Thank You to smph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
and news feed getting worst here, :??

Feed seems fine unlike in the old version.