Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I just wonder how Intel is responding to this bit of news.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Out of the top of my head...

Nokia hosts MeeGo apps
Nokia goes bankrupt, or otherwise shuts down hosting for whatever reason
???????
Profit (for M$, at least)

Now, forgive me for sounding a tad too paranoid, or otherwise too negative... But considering Nokia's situation, I'd say that embracing a solution from them means, irrevocably, that a well-thought out backup plan should be ready to kick in at any time, otherwise chances are that they might drag a lot with them, when they go down...

Also, I'm not too convinced that Nokia's really interested in the well-being of MeeGo, after all that's going on. I'd take their offer with a bit more than a slight whole lot of caution. Much, much more...

Anyways, my two cents.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
gazza_d, I can understand your frustration but this is a Linux Foundation decision. Also please understand Nokia does not own MeeGo
also Nokia is more intrested in getting apps uploaded on ovi and that I COULD understand even if I disagree with the rest of the big mess going on at Nokia (and Intel)

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I never liked the idea of Meego very much. What I want in my phone is Debian or Ubuntu with whatever UX I choose (i.e. Cordia, Plasma Mobile, Meego UX).
I have to agree seems biggest mistake Nokia actually did was go meego and "discontinue" Maemo that infacts IS still is alive in form of Meego Harmattan. a closer look it still maemocore but qt instead of gtk.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Out of the top of my head...

Nokia hosts MeeGo apps
Nokia goes bankrupt, or otherwise shuts down hosting for whatever reason
???????
Profit (for M$, at least)

Now, forgive me for sounding a tad too paranoid, or otherwise too negative... But considering Nokia's situation, I'd say that embracing a solution from them means, irrevocably, that a well-thought out backup plan should be ready to kick in at any time, otherwise chances are that they might drag a lot with them, when they go down...

Also, I'm not too convinced that Nokia's really interested in the well-being of MeeGo, after all that's going on. I'd take their offer with a bit more than a slight whole lot of caution. Much, much more...

Anyways, my two cents.
yes but what is your solution? Do you trust Intel on this? do you think they are intrested in this I doubt? so question is whats the alternative?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yes but what is your solution? Do you trust Intel on this? do you think they are intrested in this I doubt? so question is whats the alternative?
Well, the question works well on its head too... do you trust Nokia on this? Do you think they are interested in this? Based on their public statements, shifted funding and posturing, I doubt it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
At least now the truth is coming out and the kind of truth people can relate too instead of all this closed shop talk.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Well, the question works well on its head too... do you trust Nokia on this? Do you think they are interested in this? Based on their public statements, shifted funding and posturing, I doubt it.
If I were Intel, I would make a stance in regards to offering the developers a "home" for their projects, their talk/discussions and push Intel AppUp as the way to go forward.

Nokia's finally found a way to sow disenfranchisement to even the most hardcore fan. The ambiguous blame on the patents - all without stating what they are... software patents, a potential lawsuit, something that we're not privy to yet... just way too convenient. It supports Elop's stance.

Does this apply to Maemo too? Nobody knows... yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
What good is AppUp to non intel products also any OEM that comes on board will want there own store. also most app stores will only allow certain licenses.
No corporate app store is the solution to Community OSS devs most wont go near them

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post

I think apps.formeego.org is a brilliant community-led recovery from an bad, ugly decision on the part of the Linux Foundation. Our "long lost friend" Nokia didn't create the situation, and they didn't choose the new domain name, but they are completely behind the community-led effort to get the infrastructure up and running without the expected LF hosting and support.

In the long run, I personally think the move to the non-corporate formeego.org site is a much better one, especially if Nokia puts the formeego.org repositories on the N9 like I expect them to do (and like they did with maemo.org).

When Nokia made the open-source community repositories available "out of the box" on the N900, it was a bold, wonderful step forward, away from the Official App Store approach of all the other mobile platforms. Everything I'm hearing from Quim and the community app team suggests that this will happen again on the N9.
I' get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that formeego.org will be good because it will be like maemo.org, version 2, is such a good argument.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down