Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c1_is_...news-10552.php

Alongside it, there's also a rumored spec sheet, which includes an Intel-made chipset with 2GB RAM. The Nokia C1 would sport a 5" display, probably of 720p resolution, and have 32GB of storage. At the back, there is believed to be an 8MP camera joined by a 5MP one at the front.
The Nokia C1 will launch with Android 5.0 Lollipop garnished with Nokia's Z Launcher, just like the N1 tablet. It will be manufactured by Foxconn, since Nokia is prohibited from manufacturing devices until 2016 as per its acquisition contract with Microsoft.
There's no information regarding availability just yet. We suspect Nokia will announce the phone in the first quarter of 2015, but we're yet to see and hear more about the C1.
Nokia C1 phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Seems like a hoax, I know.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
This could be hoax. If it isn't then my only question is... what took you so long?

Nokia should've released this ages ago, perhaps around the time of the SGS4 release date/pre-Moto G (or even earlier).

And it would've been more sensible naming this the flagship (5") as the N1. Maybe a cheaper, smaller (4.5") mini version as the M1. Maybe a "phablet" version (5.5") as the O1. And ofcourse the tablet as the T1.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2014-12-22 at 15:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I think that this should be remembered for the next time someone cites gsmarena.com - it is one of the worst sources.

It looks like their routine is:
  • Find a random pic on the internet (deviantart is a great source).
  • Blur the image so it looks more mysterious.
  • Ignore that it is legally and logically impossible to be true (releasing specs of a device that is not allowed to sell until 2017... it would be quite outdated by then, wouldn't it?)
  • Make a shocking news article.

The best part of the article is:
It will be manufactured by Foxconn, since Nokia is prohibited from manufacturing devices until 2016 as per its acquisition contract with Microsoft
Compare it with a more credible source:
Nokia is restricted on using its brand on smartphones until the end of 2016 and feature phones for another 10 years thanks to a deal with Microsoft,
So it is 2017, not 2016 and it is not 'manufacturing', but 'using the brand'. I am pretty sure the author of the article was aware of this mistake, but chose to make it - it is like tabloids making stuff up in a way that resembles facts to look more credible.

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-12-22 at 13:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Actually, I think The Verge have that wrong. It's end of 2015, not 2016.

Here's the press release from Nokia...

"Microsoft has agreed to a 10 year license arrangement with Nokia to use the Nokia brand on current Mobile Phones products. Nokia will continue to own and maintain the Nokia brand. Under the terms of the transaction, Microsoft has agreed to a 10 year license arrangement with Nokia to use the Nokia brand on current and subsequently developed products based on the Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems. Upon the closing of the transaction, Nokia would be restricted from licensing the Nokia brand for use in connection with mobile device sales for 30 months and from using the Nokia brand on Nokia's own mobile devices until December 31, 2015."
http://company.nokia.com/en/news/pre...sh-transaction

It could be that those terms changed as regulatory approval took longer to complete than expected but given Microsoft have been quick to remove the Nokia brand from their devices, websites, social media etc then I would suspect the December 31, 2015 date stands.

edit: According to the BBC, the deal completed in April 2014. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27163667

So, potentially they can't license the name until Q4 2016 if that 30 month limit follows. I'm still surprised a tablet doesn't count as a "mobile device".

What the delay means for their own devices though is unclear but Nokia have already said they aren't going to get back into manufacturing devices.

Last edited by aegis; 2014-12-22 at 15:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on May 2014 @ Poland
Where did nokia lost it's sense on design? Their N1 tablet design is a huge disappointment, an iPhone rip off. I surely hope this one is a hoax, because it's nothing new in terms of design.

The Following User Says Thank You to frtachi For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla-like, nokia c1