Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
My e51 can run voip over hsdpa (and apparently vodafone did not yet block it). I tried once, the battery was exhausted in about 5 hours. It has a 950 mAh battery.
Jerome, is there anything special to be done in the e51 settings for this to work ?
Or is it just a matter of selecting the packet network as the access point in the SIP configuration ?
(in which case it is the 3G carrier blocking that traffic, as I've tried that :-)

TIA,
fp

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
What? They don't have anything? What have they been doing all that time? Let me recall you the timeline:
-end 2005: 770
-end 2006: N800 (actually early 2007)
-end 2007: N810
Well, partly, waiting on TI, since they wont have consumer-device usable OMAP3 silicon out until at least November. Let me break the the timeline down by CPU:

-end 2005: OMAP1710
-end 2006: OMAP2420
-end 2007: OMAP2420
-mid 2009: OMAP3430

A comment I was quick to dismiss before (but seems a lot more relevant now) is that none of these devices was the first device from Nokia to use these chips. It was always Nokia phones using them before the tablets, and we haven't seen any OMAP3 phones yet.

The interesting thing about the iPhone/Android/EeePC/whatever competition is that none of these stacks up against the OMAP3 performance wise. They're either old ARM11s (the same stuff we've got in the N8x0 right now), or x86 machines that are way too big and power hungry to really be competitors.

But, unfortunately, for as huge of a leap as the N900 will be, there's a lot of time between now and then that's filled with new competitors that, although they don't have the performance of OMAP3, are at least coming out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Jerome, what settings? Even with portforwarding I couldn't get it to work.

Both Gizmo and Fring do work though.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I agree about the latter, but I beg to differ on your definition of "sane".
I would like to have an office suite for the NIT (dreams are free). Maybe we can agree that if you were to port OpenOffice to the NIT w/o modifying the UI, then you are likely to go insane if you tried to use it for a long period of time.

The UI of some apps just plain and simple don't translate well to the small screen. Sort of like how some movies are still good when viewed on the small screen while others lose their "cinematic splendor."

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
And if they have not even started, we are talking end 2009 at best (manufacturing delays, etc...). Yet, we now have real competitors like: iPhone, Android, eeepc, etc...

Am I the only one to smell the stench of vaporware? At best, the maemo division is severely understaffed (which is never a good sign). At worst....
Again I see a lot of speculation. "End of 2009", "after christmas", "never" ... they all have one thing in common, no hard facts.

The facts are, Nokia are committed to the Linux tablet in some form, be it a niche product or a testbed for the future of the company. We WILL see the n900 or what ever name it gets and the indications from the discussions both on and off line point this squarely at the summer of 2009.

Will it be the one true holy grail of devices, I doubt it. Will it be an iphone killer, again, I doubt it without the cellular voice support. Will it be a step towards a great platform and bring with it a 10 fold increase in consumers, I really hope so. I'm sure Nokia have a plan, hell, I've heard first hand snippets of the plan which stitched together hold a lot of promise.

Give them a little slack and stick to the facts. We as a community are 'guessing'. Whether that be an educated guess of something pulled out of the nether regions its bad to spread FUD. Lets communicate what we definitely do know.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The European Commision provides a website where one can compare roaming tariffs in EU. It includes compares for receiving or making a phone call, SMS, and data services and differences between pre-paid and post-paid.

Also of interest

[...]

The Commission therefore proposed on 23 September 2008:
* To bring down the prices for text messages sent while travelling in another EU country.
* To ensure that citizens are kept adequately informed of the charges that apply for data roaming services.

[...]

What kind of changes are being proposed?

Euro-SMS Tariff introduced: from 1 July 2009 sending an SMS from abroad would cost no more than 11 cents (excluding VAT). Receiving an SMS in another EU country will remain free of charge.

Improved transparency: customers travelling to another Member State should receive an automated message of the charges that apply for data roaming services. On 1 July 2010, operators must provide customers with the opportunity to determine in advance how much they want to spend before the service is "cut-off".

Wholesale caps for data roaming: the Commission also proposed a €1 per megabyte safeguard limit for wholesale data roaming fees, to make them more predictable for operators, stimulate competition and enable even more transparent retail prices.

Further reductions on Eurotariff for voice calls: the prices for making calls would decrease from 43 cents on 1 July 2009, to 40 cents, 37 cents and 34 cents for each of the following years. The price for receiving a call would decrease from 19 cents on 1 July 2009 to 16 cents, 13 cents and 10 cents for each of the following years. Consumers would also benefit from per-second billing after 30 seconds for calls made, and per-second billing throughout for calls received to ensure that consumers do not face any ‘hidden costs’ when they are roaming. This is expected to increase consumers savings by over 20%.

Source
Press release.

Note: above is also available in other languages

Viviane_Reding++

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A comment I was quick to dismiss before (but seems a lot more relevant now) is that none of these devices was the first device from Nokia to use these chips. It was always Nokia phones using them before the tablets, and we haven't seen any OMAP3 phones yet.
I get the feeling that the next iteration of the tablets will be ground breaking; it certainly has a few of the Nokia guys more than excited.

OMAP3 is a different proposition to what has come before. It certainly is a disruptive technology, who can say they can decode high definition video streams on a device that is a couple of centermeters square.

The beagle guys have forged a head with the technology and I think Nokia will piggy-back this to their advantage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, partly, waiting on TI, since they wont have consumer-device usable OMAP3 silicon out until at least November. Let me break the the timeline down by CPU:

-end 2005: OMAP1710
-end 2006: OMAP2420
-end 2007: OMAP2420
-mid 2009: OMAP3430

I think the first use of OMAP 1710 (with proof it could drive a large touch screen) in Nokia was the 7710 in 2004, but I could be mistaken.

Is that there much of a difference in the architecture of the OMAP3 that Nokia has to wait for test samples? Isn't the beagleboard sufficient? I have to believe that the N900 is primarily waiting on SW development, not the HW.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think the first use of OMAP 1710 (with proof it could drive a large touch screen) in Nokia was the 7710 in 2004, but I could be mistaken.

Is that there much of a difference in the architecture of the OMAP3 that Nokia has to wait for test samples? Isn't the beagleboard sufficient? I have to believe that the N900 is primarily waiting on SW development, not the HW.
Internally, from what I understand, they started with the beagleboard for kernel level work.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
both sonyericsson and lg sell featurephones that have hspa and bluetooth.

Tags
job, n900