Well, I don't know then. If you're typing in a valid location, in both origin and destination, it should work. It works for me.

Originally Posted by davige View Post
I check the radio button 'Origin' so that I can plan a route on a pre-loaded map without a GPS or internet connection.
If you're using the "Download Route" dialog, then you need to have an internet connection. You can use that dialog to "plan" a route, but each "segment" of the route needs to be downloaded from the internet.

The format of the Origin and Destination text fields is the same format you use for Google Maps. Examples include "123 Main St., Anycity, NY" , or "M street and 2nd street, 90210", or just "90210". Basically, anything that works in Google Maps (i.e. resolves to a single address, not a list of addresses, and not a "did you mean?" page) will work in the "Download Route" and "Go to Address" dialogs.

Now, if, instead of downloading route segments, you're trying to just "plan a route" by drawing points on the screen, then you can sorta do that by tapping and holding anywhere on the map and selecting "Tap Point" and then either "Add Route Point" or "Add Waypoint..." from the sub-menu. It's not terribly convenient, though.

Please tell me what 'Error Parsing GPX file' means and how I fix it. I get this message whenever I try to open a downloaded area map. I've tried Google street & VE street.

Last edited by davige; 2008-03-13 at 13:27.

Bueller.....Bueller.....Anyone.....Anyone?

Please tell me what 'Error Parsing GPX file' means and how I fix it. I get this message whenever I try to open a downloaded area map. I've tried Google street & VE street.
Whenever you try to do "open a downloaded area map"? What does that mean? Are you talking about the "Open..." menu item in either the "Route" or "Track" menus? What is a "downloaded area map"? Maemo Mapper can't open arbitrary map files (like those used by Garmin, for example).

The "Route | Open..." menu item is for opening routes (in GPX format), and the "Track | Open..." menu item is for opening tracks (in GPX format). They have nothing to do with maps - they're just coordinates.

I want to test the ability to create routes between two addresses without an internet connection while on vacation so, I downloaded a Google street map of San Francisco at level 2,4 & 6 (using coordinates from Google Earth) with Winmapper on my PC. I transferred the downloaded map files to the memory card of my N810 via USB connection. I turned off 'Auto Download' and turned off my internet connection. I set my map repository to the Google map folder on my memory card. I selected 'Route/Open'. I get a 'Open file' window. I see a folder containing the downloaded maps and a 'Gstreet.db' file. I highlight that file (because it is the only one recognized as valid). I click 'Select' and I get the message 'Error parsing GPX file.' What am I doing wrong? Or, am I misunderstanding the ability of MM?

Last edited by davige; 2008-03-13 at 23:52.

I believe MM is meant to be used as a GPS system and not as an offline Google Maps. But I could be wrong.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I want to test the ability to create routes between two addresses without an internet connection while on vacation so, I downloaded a Google street map of San Francisco at level 2,4 & 6 (using coordinates from Google Earth) with Winmapper on my PC. I transferred the downloaded map files to the memory card of my N810 via USB connection. I turned off 'Auto Download' and turned off my internet connection. I set my map repository to the Google map folder on my memory card. I selected 'Route/Open'. I get a 'Open file' window. I see a folder containing the downloaded maps and a 'Gstreet.db' file. I highlight that file (because it is the only one recognized as valid). I click 'Select' and I get the message 'Error parsing GPX file.' What am I doing wrong? Or, am I misunderstanding the ability of MM?
You can't open a .db file with the "Route | Open" menu item. That menu item is for opening routes, not maps. The .db file is a map database file. Map repositories are set up using the "Manage Repositories" dialog.

I recommend reading the help file (via the "File | Help" menu item), if available.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I believe MM is meant to be used as a GPS system and not as an offline Google Maps. But I could be wrong.
Maemo Mapper can download maps to your device for offline viewing. An internet connection is not required to view maps. The only operations that require an internet connection are downloading maps, downloading routes, using the "View | Go to | Address" menu item, and downloading POIs.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Maemo Mapper can download maps to your device for offline viewing. An internet connection is not required to view maps. The only operations that require an internet connection are downloading maps, downloading routes, using the "View | Go to | Address" menu item, and downloading POIs.
Sorry, I misunderstood the use of MM. I thought that it could plan a route offline with a previously downloaded street map. How do I open a downloaded map for offline viewing in MM? Can I open the Google street maps that I downloaded on my PC with Winmapper and transferred to my N810?