Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Very odd...when I install it...it doesn't show up as an available widget in the list. When I remove the app, suddenly it shows up in the widget list. If I select it (which I don't expect to work), it doesn't do anything and doesn't give any errors, but removes it from the list then.

Rebooted many times, uninstalled/reinstalled many times. Not sure why I can't see the widget in the list and select it when I install it...but so far I've been unable to use it. I'd file a bug, but looks like the bugtracker link at the http://maemo.org/packages/view/raemote/ site just points to a simple webpage about the app.

FOLLOWUP: I was able to launch it manually with "python raemote.py" once I found where the file was located. Works good once I got it running, although sometimes I noticed that buttons would "stick" in a pressed state even after I lifted my finger off the screen. Funny thing is that I didn't even know I had Front Row on my Macbook (it's a work provided laptop which is imaged from a stripped down build) until I used this app.

Last edited by pagesix1536; 2010-03-09 at 15:12.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Same issue I can't find it in the widget selection pulldown menu? Where is the file located?

Nice!

But we are running out of desktop space with all these widgets I think this one should be an app instead. It is not something I want on the desktop taking up so much space...

The Following User Says Thank You to generationally For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Same issue I can't find it in the widget selection pulldown menu? Where is the file located?
I think if it's the first Python-based Desktop widget that you install, you might have to restart your N900 or at least hildon-home (by using "killall hildon-home" in the X Terminal).

If in doubt, you can use "python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &" in the X Terminal to start the widget manually. The widget should then appear on your Desktop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
Originally Posted by thp View Post
I think if it's the first Python-based Desktop widget that you install, you might have to restart your N900 or at least hildon-home (by using "killall hildon-home" in the X Terminal).

If in doubt, you can use "python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &" in the X Terminal to start the widget manually. The widget should then appear on your Desktop.
Mine doesn't show up in the widget menu too. But opening it manually through terminal works. Very nice app and very responsive too! Just what I need since I couldn't find my original Apple remote..

Hopefully the bug for it not showing in the widget menu will be fixed.

Thanks for this!

I vote for a full fledged app instead of a widget. Most ideas for apps seems to be implemented as a widget leading to desktop clutter.

Since the remote is only for when the user is in front of a mac - maybe it makes sense to launch an app instead of an always on widget ? Just a thought.

But neverthless Kudos for this great idea - will surely try it, now that I have a Mac Mini.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Halifax
Great App and thank you, but one question how exactly do you pair it with your macbook since it requires you to hold the menu button and next/forward button simultaneously and we know this isn't possible without multitouch. Please help. Thank You

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by thp View Post
We can rename the thread to Raemote (Moderators: Please rename this thread to "[ANNOUNCE] RaeMote for the N900 (Apple Infrared Remote)") No "MeeMote" or "ReeMote" (or MeeRote..). We are still living in Maemo times, and we can still rename the widget when MeeGo comes out.
Oh man, that's not nearly as cool. You had a good trend going with Maepad and all that. Anyway, I was going to help you out with it but you posted it in the wrong forum, oops. (I thought this thread was in Apps).

I was wondering why Irreco was so cumbersome, and thought that IR control had to be less difficult than that made it seem. It's good to see it's true.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-10 at 07:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Hi, I installed fine & it shows up in my widget menu.

I just cant get it to work with my macbook, I don't think it is sending IR signals. My apple remote works fine so I'm sure its not a problem on the mac receiver. Have tried a reboot and a re-install but no joy yet. Anyone share this problem?

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Digbum13 View Post
I just cant get it to work with my macbook, I don't think it is sending IR signals. My apple remote works fine so I'm sure its not a problem on the mac receiver. Have tried a reboot and a re-install but no joy yet. Anyone share this problem?
I guess your Mac has a webcam, so just open Photo Booth and point the IR port towards the webcam and press a button on the Raemote - you should see a small light flicker inside the IR port when sending a signal (at least it does when using my Shutter widget :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post: