Notices

Hello GUyzz i m thing is that possible to convert iphone apps to n900 Linux OS apps. well i have never created an app of n900 but i wonder if anyone could dooo soo. if it could be possible hw great it would beee. iPhone app store & cydia has Thousand's of apps.if someone could convert or make similar apps it willl bee funn.Then new world of apps for n900 would be started ........ !!!!!!!!

if anyone can create app for n900 & iphone pls pls reply !!!!!!!
Thanx

Regards
Sarthak

the ONLY thing i'll ever consider taking from an iphone is the music app(but even then, using itunes?!), all else, well except for some nice games, hmmm nothing

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
If it was at all possible someone would have done it by now, if u want iphone apps then buy an iphone, n900 is a completely different animal.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
I asked the same question months ago on this forum. Someone told me its like trying to make toast on your washmaschine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slartibartfass For This Useful Post:
Posts: 312 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ dubai
u can port iphone easier than android

see:

All I can say is that I don't -want- iphone apps.
Mainly because they are all closed source. The whole reason to -have- a N900 is because most of the os, and almost all the apps are open-source and can be FIXED if they break, or the developer abandons them, or even if you want something the developer won't add/change.

As it is, I see far more usable tools than the iphone has apps, and most of ours are free!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
What is it that you want to do?

If it is one of the billions and billions of specific iPhone apps that you want to run on the N900 then there is a good chance that its task was conceptualized or mobile developed on an earlier device running Maemo, Symbian, or even a plain ol' Java J2ME run time environment.

If it was though, one thing is for sure. It would never look as pretty as it does on an iPhone.

Another thing that is also for sure is that on the iPhone this app would only be capable of running that one particular task.

If it continued to develop on Maemo at least, it pro'ly includes other related tasks or may be just another thing that a completely unrelated Maemo app does.

Dig?

BTW, it would not surprise me if you find my response hard to understand. I found the original post in this thread hard to understand as well and realize we may not have the same native tongue.

SLN member # 009

I do not see any reasons to port ANY iPhone app (or ANY Android app) to Maemo/MeeGoo. Why would one want such apps that are bloated with ads, doing exactly one thing and doing it bad(usually) to be ported to an Open Sourced platform....
Instead Its much better if someone does try porting the thousands of open source apps for *nix to the specifics of N900... That would worth the efforts....

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There's no need to really port, just recompile the other *nix apps if there is a need for it.

I think the people against iPhone or Android apps are overlooking one key thing... people want those apps because they don't quite exactly exist fully in the *nix world. Not 100%, not in the way that doesn't require the end-user to jump through a few hoops.

And ultimately... it doesn't exist natively quite yet. That is the main reason why people are looking at ports. There are no real racing games - Tux Race does not count - and there are other genres that are wholly lacking. And before it's said, emulation is an option, but not always one that satisfies an users want to play a modern game, not a game from 1996 in 2010 on a 2009 device.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There's no need to really port, just recompile the other *nix apps if there is a need for it.

I think the people against iPhone or Android apps are overlooking one key thing... people want those apps because they don't quite exactly exist fully in the *nix world.
I do not think there is any overlooking... Any app is created when a need of it exists... and the app "exists" till that need exists. And this is true about ANY platform... So looking at the number of apps doing one thing (at the Android Market for example) one can find about a hundred apps for tweaking a ringtone... That says for me enough for the support of Android...

On the other hand talking about games in the *nix world... hehe not much of them anyway (if we mean native ones) and i guess most of the phone users need games...

And about recompiling of existent *nix apps ... this usually is not enough because N900 has a lot of specifics like the D-bus services and calls, UI etc etc... that has to be ported (probably the word "port" is not quite exact in this case but anyway i guess you know what i mean)...