Can anyone please tell me how to insatall this to my phone step by step. Still I can't install this. When I download DEB package,it says can't install because missing kernel files.

I have kernel version 2.6.28.

What should I do?

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have been using this for a few weeks now.
Firstly it should be on the repos and maybe in CSSU since it is a more natural way to find and control the USB mode.

Like h-e-n it usualy takes 2-3 tries to get my Sandisk 16GB thumb drive or other drive mounted. Maybe reclicking on the USB master mode could make for an easier retry on mounting a drive if the first attempt failed rather than having to jump back to slave before trying master again.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Should there not be a 4th option "USB host mode (no power)"? I'm plugging my N900 into a powered USB 2.0 hub. I don't want my N900 to provide any power but nor can it charge. What option should I use here? Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to stuart34 For This Useful Post:
In order to understand it pali's script better I tried to rewrite in python: https://github.com/stuart12/n900_fil...n/usb_host_ctl Let me know what you think

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@weebly,

As you say, "it says can't install because missing kernel files". That and the first page of this thread should be a clear giveaway. The list of missing files (in fact packages) is right there for you to see. I am sorry and I do not want to sound patronizing or discouraging but I fear that if you have difficulties understanding that then installing this application may be a bit too advanced for you.

The best I can suggest you do is read the thread again, from the beginning to the end, every single post. There are only 104 of them at the moment, it has taken me only about an hour and a half to read them all. If, following that, you still find yourself lost in all the jargon, then I would suggest that it may not be for you, sorry.

In a nutshell, the app requires a modified kernel. 2.6.28 is not a precise enough specification. There are letters and numbers after the 28. The one required by this package is 2.6.28-10power51r1. Note the r1 at the end, plain power51 will not do. The link is in the first post, BTW, along with other dependencies, of which probably the most crucial is CSSU, which stands for Comunity Seamless Software Update. There is a big yellow-green CSSU link at the top right corner of your screen right now, right under the Council logo.

In other words, it will not work on a stock device. You need to do a lot of updating before you get to the point when your device is ready for installing this app, some of them quite risky if you do not know what you are doing. Judging by your questions, I would guess that you may not have the sufficient technical knowledge to embark on all that, even though of course I may be wrong. Either way, as Estel said, there are better ways to ask a question and expect an answer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stuart34 View Post
Should there not be a 4th option "USB host mode (no power)"? I'm plugging my N900 into a powered USB 2.0 hub. I don't want my N900 to provide any power but nor can it charge. What option should I use here? Thanks
Either I'm missing something due to late hour, or you have very good point here. In H-E-N, it would require using boostoff *without* executing charge command later.

Hoever, on second though, it seems to me, that USB Mode uses kernel module for charging. This way, when you select hostmode + charging, it should work ok, and just, don't charge (in your case with powered hub, without backfeeding power to uplink USB port).

Or is, it written in a way, that it shout and exits, when no charging power detected? I can't test it, as my all hubs are either passive ones, or somehow over-active (when powered, backfeed power to uplink, too). could you test what happens, and report back?

/Estel

// edit

And what keeps Pali from uploading it into extras-devel, after so much pre-release testing? Pretty please?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
And what keeps Pali from uploading it into extras-devel, after so much pre-release testing? Pretty please?
Maybe fact that it depends on CSSU packages? I don't think there are any CSSU-dependant packages not only in Extras, but even Extras-devel, are there?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Good point - although, ke-recv is only used for automounting. I can easily imagine version of this package, that wouldn't depend on it (leaving trivial mount for user, or doing it via own script, in case of detecting vanilla ssu), which leaves kernel-power as only one significant dependency.

Considering, that there isn't much hope for USB-Mode inclusion in CSSU in foreseeable future, it might be worth effort. Unless someone got better ideas, that is.

All after all, link to package in random thread of TMO (and we don't even know, if TMO will exist after 31.12.2012, and if yes, in what form...) seems to be worst of available solution, no?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The automounting will not mount my USB stick that is formatted as iso9660 (it is a Debian install image that I just happened to have lying around) even though maemo will mount the filesystem.

I have another stick that contains a vfat partition, a crypt_LUKS partition and an ext4 partition. The automounting code mounts the vfat partition and gives errors for the others.

Perhaps the error message "Unable to connect, no file system available" could be modified to "Unable to mount %s, filesystem type %s" to make things clearer. thanks

Last edited by stuart34; 2012-10-21 at 12:55. Reason: more testing

The Following User Says Thank You to stuart34 For This Useful Post:
i can't install usbmode/usbmode_1.0-2_armel.deb on my n9.

i can't find SSU repository for hartman.

Who can help me?

Tags
usbmode