I've been battling for days to get the SDK up & running and integrated in Eclipse. It seems that everything is against me.

I first tried downloading the SDK on Saturday. The repos were down.

I'm running Ubuntu Karmic in 64bit mode.

I jump through hoops to get the SDK installed and running in scratchbox. Scratchbox environment runs fine with Xephyr.
I tear my hair out having to use an older version of Eclipse & deal with it's incompatibilities with current xulrunner.
ESBox seems to refuse to believe that running in x86_64 is possible and refuses to talk to scratchbox.

OK, so I admit defeat that way and grab a VM version and get it running under Virtualbox. I get the shares set up and ESBox appears to be happy. It will start and stop the scratchbox environment and run code from within eclipse just as you would expect.

It was running Xephyr on my host machine rather than within the desktop of the VM which I thought was a nice touch. The problem is that most of the widgets on a form are not rendered. For example, the numbers of the clock display are not showing on the desktop. You can click it and it starts worldclock - of which only the top bar is shown.

If I run Xephyr within the desktop of the VM, things look fine, however ESBox does not seem to want to play that way.

I'll be happy either way - having the display work when running Xephyr locally or having the esbox integration run Xephyr within the VM.

I'm putting out this plea for help now as I can't find any pointers and am too tired to look further tonight. Hopefully somebody can realise what obvious little thing I've overlooked so I can give myself a good kicking over it tomorrow.

TIA

Last edited by jaark; 2010-01-22 at 11:30. Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate now I have a better understanding of what's happening and meant to happen :)

Hi,

as you are running virtual box the problem might be in your settings, as virtual box sometimes messes up the network settings.

try to change the settings like this:

Code:
$VBOX/VBoxManage setextradata "$image_name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestssh/Protocol" TCP

$VBOX/VBoxManage setextradata "$image_name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestssh/GuestPort" 22

$VBOX/VBoxManage setextradata "$image_name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestssh/HostPort" 2222
In general the images are optimized for VMware and not for virtual box. So it might be that there come up problems like this.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
I had already done that. Not too sure exactly what it achieved though as I couldn't see a ssh server running on port 2222 on either the guest or the host afterwards.

The network settings seem to be fine. ESbox on the host can communicate and control scratchbox within the VM and scratchbox on the VM can connect to Xephyr on the host, just it doesn't appear to render everything.

OK, I've re-installed eclipse from scratch and started with a fresh 'Server' VM. I had Esbox install scratchbox 1 and the SDK into the VM and it seems happy.

When it starts scratchbo, it runs Xephyr locally (which I now realise is where it is intended to run) but I still have rendering problems.

Here is the desktop :-

And the app manager :-

On the desktop, the clock is running, just nothing visible is being drawn.

It must be something to do with my local copy of Xephyr - does anyone have any ideas?

I have had another idea of how I could solve this. I can't test right now as I'm at work but wanted to run this by people in case there's anything fundamentally wrong...

I know that Xephyr rendered things correctly from a locally running SDK, but Esbox refused to talk to that.

So. here's my plan -

Install a local SDK and get that running.
Create a dummy VBoxManager that will return expected responses when Esbox calls it.
Configure Esbox to use this dummy VBoxManager and set the local and remote IP addresses to my local IP address.

My thinking is that ESbox will think it is talking to a VM and perform all it's actions via ssh and not worry that it's actually talking to an 'impossible' set-up. Would this stand any chance of working?

Success!!

I have somehow managed to get things working locally. I'm not 100% sure exactly what was done to make it work as a fair amount of fiddling was done while drunk last night - but it's working now

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post: