Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Hey there!

I'm having quite some problems with updating my Nokia N9 to the latest firmware and now i'm wondering, is there a way to change the N9 product code? It would be a simple solution. It's easy to do it on Symbian, so it should be possible on maemo/meego too, right?

Thanks for all the replies.

edit*

Here is the solution:

You can do it with NSS (Nemesis Service Suite), google for download link, after you download it install the first option (USB something), connect your n9 [sync and connect], open NSS, scan for a new device, select "phone info" and then click "read" and you'll be able to see what's your product code. Now you must change the power mode to local and your phone will reboot in local mode, tick enable the product code and write a new product code in the field and press "write". That's about it, set power mode to normal again and press "read" to see if it worked.

Last edited by olympus; 2011-12-20 at 15:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Really? No one has an idea? :|

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ United States
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Hey there!

I'm having quite some problems with updating my Nokia N9 to the latest firmware and now i'm wondering, is there a way to change the N9 product code? It would be a simple solution. It's easy to do it on Symbian, so it should be possible on maemo/meego too, right?

Thanks for all the replies.
Well, if you mean product code, as in RM-696, then no, you cannot change it. However if you meant the one on your sim card tray, all you need to do is flash your firmware with a different variant code.

Yes, I mean the one on my sim card tray but I can't flash my firmware with a different variant because it says downgrade disallowed. If i could just change the product code then (i guess) i would be able to update my device via NSU or OTA. Is there any other way?

NSS doesn't work on the N9, you may have to wait for PR1.2 to flash to a lower PR number (i.e. PR_001).

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Turkiye
I also had trouble upgrading my firmware. I used NaviFirm and used the generic Firmware. Working like a charm.

Originally Posted by BlinkThinks View Post
NSS doesn't work on the N9, you may have to wait for PR1.2 to flash to a lower PR number (i.e. PR_001).
Well that's a shame. Thanks for the info anyway.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ United States
Use Navifirm (www.symbian-toys.com/navifirm.aspx) to download your firmware and the Maemo flasher v3.12.1 (http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php) to flash your device.

This has been working for me. However, as BlinkThinks said, you might not be able downgrade (PR_005 to PR_001) but this is definitely a shot until the next update. You might be able to work with the product code from your area and it might work....

Originally Posted by amarkkassery View Post
Use Navifirm (www.symbian-toys.com/navifirm.aspx) to download your firmware and the Maemo flasher v3.12.1 (http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php) to flash your device.

This has been working for me. However, as BlinkThinks said, you might not be able downgrade (PR_005 to PR_001) but this is definitely a shot until the next update. You might be able to work with the product code from your area and it might work....
Thanks for your efforts guys but my problem is that my version is PR_313 so it says to me downgrade disallowed, that's why i'm looking for other ways around.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Thanks for your efforts guys but my problem is that my version is PR_313 so it says to me downgrade disallowed, that's why i'm looking for other ways around.
Are you sure you're using correct version of firmware ? PR 1.1 is 20.2011.40-4. I had no issues flashing my N9 variant #299 phone to 001 variant. You'll only see this "downgrade now allowed" warning if you're flashing same firmware version as currently installed but with a smaller variant #.