Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
EDIT: oh, forgot that I reflashed to PR1.1 yesterday so I no longer have 42-11 and cannot flash back (or so they say). The nearest I can try this evening is to boot old rootfs with new kernel and new cmt firmware. And then of course with newer OS cloned to third partition.
Well, flashing to 1.0 from 1.1 will just kill the cellular (as that doesn't want to downgrade). Anyway, don't try it :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hi
How can I install it?
I install it by:
apt-get install bootmenu
but on reboot nothing happened....
Edit: Sorry Forgot to use "install bootmenu"

Last edited by mikhmv; 2010-01-13 at 22:39.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Just posted http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...e-in-pr11.html which deals with something important regarding bootmenu
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just posted http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...e-in-pr11.html which deals with something important regarding bootmenu
Awesome! Glad this got included

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Now, After last update, we can just add file bootmenu.sh
Question:
Is it possible to run something like x-terminal from this file?
I tried use this:
/usr/bin/osso-xterm
/bin/pidof osso-xterm>>test
But it didn't show anything.
and test file was created but empty.

I've upgraded to 51-1. Installed bootmenu, but don't see no bootmenu when booting with the keyboard out.

I'm using a modified Jebba's kernel with cryptsetup support, so am thinking maybe it's not including the patches supporting bootmenu and would like to confirm that. Is that so?

Also, my main interest is creating a bootmenu option enabling me to boot into `rescue mode', i.e. messing with the system, I get different hickups after which Maemo doesn't boot, i.e. some prob with ~/.profile etc. So would like to have an option, in case this happens, to boot to command line, fix the prob and be able to reboot, without having to reflash the device.

Does the current bootmenu feature such an option by default already? (Can't tell as I can't seem to get it to come up on boot.) Or can someone post the necessary bootmenu config for such a boot option?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Did you run the 'install bootmenu' icon?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
OK, missed this step

I get the bootmenu now. Though it gave me a blood-pressure-rise moment, as I ran the icon, it said it patched preinit, and then it would take forever booting with the keyboard closed, on the black screen... I thought, damn, and this was what messed the phone up finally and I'm gonna have to reflash again. But then it booted, it seems to be taking a whole lot longer to boot, but that's just subjective.

How about booting into the flash with some rescue mode etc. I'm using Jebba's kernel, so it has framebuffer console enabled, so I can log in to plain text mode. Without starting X, just the tty, any examples I can use to set up this part of the boot menu?

Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
OK, missed this step

I get the bootmenu now. Though it gave me a blood-pressure-rise moment, as I ran the icon, it said it patched preinit, and then it would take forever booting with the keyboard closed, on the black screen... I thought, damn, and this was what messed the phone up finally and I'm gonna have to reflash again. But then it booted, it seems to be taking a whole lot longer to boot, but that's just subjective.

How about booting into the flash with some rescue mode etc. I'm using Jebba's kernel, so it has framebuffer console enabled, so I can log in to plain text mode. Without starting X, just the tty, any examples I can use to set up this part of the boot menu?
I have same problem and same question.
I tried to start x-terminal but it is not working...

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by Aweb View Post
Frankly that would be awesome.

Even running Android with VMWare would be enough for me..
Yeah, after I got the n900 I realized I wanted a phone, not a "mobile computer."

Tags
alternative os, android, bootloader, diversity on n900?, kexec, linux, more freedom?, n900, operating system