Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
sailfish roadmap su*ks by the way, first of all there are not enough apps, what oems will launch the device with sailfish 0s 3 is not clear (fish was announced way ahead of its launch), sailfish is celebrating os 3 with just 3 or 4 devices (s*ny primarily, so cheap bast*rds like me are sad), updates for fish are not released in fixed time, who is planning the saifish roadmap?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
the jolla provided media player does FM Radio as well, but at the moment the FM Radio on the Xperia X is unsupported on sailfish.
So Sailfish includes an FM app but it doesn't work on the Xperia? I can't imagine it's a difficult fix, so perhaps in SF 3.0?

Can anybody tell me definitively that one or more third party FM radio programs work?

You can do usb tethering if you want, it involves installing a bunch of packages but thats about it. I think most people just use wifi hotspot.
Do you know the name of one of the packages so I can research this? It would be really helpful if it could just reuse either the Android or Symbian drivers.

It also just occurred to me that I have an unused wifi router with USB ports and DD-WRT. At one point I installed a Linux driver and was able to communicate with my Symbian phone via USB from the router, but never got it to dial. If the driver is also compatible with the Xperia, I could give this another try.

The Following User Says Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Sailfish OS is a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood
Albeit with severely outdated packages.

Originally Posted by thetao View Post
Maybe not, but I still hope it's on a roadmap somewhere. Sailfish 4.0?
(re: JVM): But why, though? I can understand that you could technically run the same software as on your desktop computer, but you're going to be using different software on a mobile device anyway due to the physical size constraints, which make it impractical at best. I think the most you would get out of it would be to show others "look, it's LibreOffice, running on my phone", but just like playing Doom on your microwave, it's something you do once and then forget about it. Perhaps I'm making too many assumptions, but I'm curious what use you would get out of JVM on a phone.

Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
updates for fish are not released in fixed time
Are you talking about the Intex Aqua Fish? I think it was obvious from the start that that was to be a very poorly made device with no support from Intex, a company that marketed their phone being used as a compass when the device doesn't even have one. I'm surprised it's even seen any updates at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Are you talking about the Intex Aqua Fish? I think it was obvious from the start that that was to be a very poorly made device with no support from Intex, a company that marketed their phone being used as a compass when the device doesn't even have one. I'm surprised it's even seen any updates at all.
regular updates is one of the main features of sailfish os (unlike crapdroid) thats why many of us bought the sailfish device. I just dup and update my phone through terminal but every time i see a question on tjc regarding fish not getting updates it makes me sad. and i know jolla can provide updates to this device because fish is another jolla c but they have to wait for the green flag from intex but this situation should change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
So Sailfish includes an FM app but it doesn't work on the Xperia? I can't imagine it's a difficult fix, so perhaps in SF 3.0?

Can anybody tell me definitively that one or more third party FM radio programs work?
They work, but not on the Xperia X, and no sorry its not an easy fix and not a widely demanded feature either.

Do you know the name of one of the packages so I can research this? It would be really helpful if it could just reuse either the Android or Symbian drivers.
https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-61513

it'll be using the RNDIS networking drivers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@nthn, I agree with everything you say except the "running desktop applications on a mobile" thing. I regularly ran desktop apps on my N900. You just take random sources, type "make" and voilą. I also ran them pre-built under Easy Debian, although I admit that some are more suitable than others.

But that was the N900. That was special. Most mobiles are indeed very poor targets for running desktop apps. Not "due to physical size constraints" - some are really massive by anyone's standard (except perhaps Dav999 and gerbick) and, thanks to the nonsensical pixel wars, have screen resolutions four times higher than any desktop. No, the real reason why they are not suitable for running desktop apps is a) no physical keyboard and b) capacitive touchscreen without a stylus.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Sorry, I didn't understand "Aptoid". The software you list is available for download?
Open "Jolla Store", go to "Markets" (bottom end), choose Aptoide Store (with Android apps).

You can also use the web browser to search and download Amazon App Store, F-Droid, etc.

More ways to install Android apps :
How to get Android apps without using the Play Store
Yalp Store allows to access Google Play Store with your Google account or anonymous one.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2018-07-28 at 17:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I can do command line, but will need some kind of driver on the host side to communicate with the Xperia's modem to dial out. Given my current circumstances, lack of wired tethering may be a hard stop. I didn't completely understand your "Dev mode" explanation. Would this let me use the modem?
Okay, I see you indeed have been using da symbian a bit too long, right?
Things have changed a bit from those days, when you needeed to connect to a device via slip/ppp and utter AT-commands to it to make the connection!

Nowdays there is nothing like that needed any longer.

When a (linux-) phone is connected to 3G/4G/5G network, it always has the packet connection open in kernel, there is an active network device that can send/receive packets in the device.
When you plug in USB cable, and set up an IP network over it (which happens pretty much automatically if your computer uses linux, for windoze you need to install rndis drivers or similar thingies) you are pretty much a-ok already.
Just set nat and forwarding in the phone and point your default route to it in the computer and all works automagically, no need to "set up the modem" or other silliness there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'm curious what use you would get out of JVM on a phone
I guess the current thinking is "if Sailfish doesn't offer software natively, I can go to Android". I want a Sailfish phone in part because I don't like Android and would prefer to patron anything else (except Microsoft). I know a good Python port is available. Is that built-in? As long as it doesn't adversely impact storage for user-installed programs, I don't mind a fatter Sailfish image with maps, an office suite, a JVM, etc. Anybody who doesn't want it can uninstall it or doesn't have to use it. But I'll admit this could also be old school thinking. I use a JVM regularly with Symbian, and it feels like an oversight on Jolla's part to force me to give it up.

They work, but not on the Xperia X, and no sorry its not an easy fix and not a widely demanded feature either.
Augh! That's a problem because I use Symbian's FM radio all the time. Will need to make some noise on Jolla's Together server...once I can finally log in.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Open "Jolla Store", go to "Markets" (bottom end), choose Aptoide Store (with Android apps).

You can also use the web browser to search and download Amazon App Store, F-Droid, etc.
Ah, Aptoid = Android. Got it.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-61513

it'll be using the RNDIS networking drivers
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Okay, I see you indeed have been using da symbian a bit too long, right?
Things have changed a bit from those days, when you needeed to connect to a device via slip/ppp and utter AT-commands to it to make the connection!

Nowdays there is nothing like that needed any longer.

When a (linux-) phone is connected to 3G/4G/5G network, it always has the packet connection open in kernel, there is an active network device that can send/receive packets in the device.
Yes, too long, but I don't like Android, can't quite accept an iPhone, and won't buy Windoze-anything, so have felt stuck. I can still make most things work on my 3rd Ed. phone with a little effort. It's frustrating that lack of TLS 1.1/1.2, something relatively small, is what finally made it obsolete.

Thanks for the networking/tethering details! This is all very interesting and will be my next Sailfish reading project.

And thanks for all the great answers, everybody!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
T
I can do command line, but will need some kind of driver on the host side to communicate with the Xperia's modem to dial out. Given my current circumstances, lack of wired tethering may be a hard stop. I didn't completely understand your "Dev mode" explanation. Would this let me use the modem?
Okay, I think I understood (a bit) your idea.
When tethering with a modern smartphone, you don't tether like the old dump phones. You do not use the phone as a "modem" to dial (you don't send "+++AT" commands to establish a 3G connection from your computer).

The phone will be connected on its own to the internet.
And then *redirects* network trafic to necessary devices.
It works like a router.
The ISP still sees your phone connected to the internet and has no clue what you're doing at all.
The laptop you're tethering too doesn't see a *modem*, it sees a network access point, like a Wifi router.

Out of the box, the smartphone has a nice GUI to enable such routing over Wifi. The smartphone simply starts to act like an Internet router, to whose Wifi you connect.

With the USB tether, once you've installed the dev mode support, the smartphone show on the USB as a USB network device.
A laptop with linux has support for that out of the box. If windows doesn't, a pretty standard USB Network driver should do the trick, nothing special needed.

This USB network works like if you had a direct network cable to your phone.
By default, it's a simply 1 to 1 network : you laptop can see your smartphone, your smartphone can see your laptop, that's it.

It's possible to type commands that will ask the smartphone to start forwarding thing from USB to its internet connection.
(Just like a router, but this time wired).

It's also possible to connect to SSH running on the phone in proxy mode and use that as a proxy on your browser.

Sorry, I didn't understand "Aptoid". The software you list is available for download?
It's just yet another app store for android.
The peculiarity is that instead of having one giant single list of software (like on Google's Playstore), Aptoid has tons of different repositories to which you can subscribe.

When you install "android support" on your Xperia, you get android apps also appearing in the Jolla Store.
One of these is "Aptoid". If you install it you can access any android app on any aptoid repository that you like.
By default, the repository called "Sailfish-app" is active and you can get tons of applications from there.

(NOTE: Currently, the version of WhatsApp there is buggy. For now fetch it from the WhatsApp website).

But Sailfish is really my only option because I don't like Android and won't buy an iPhone, I don't mind the occasional Android app, but am choosing Sailfish in part to avoid Google Play Services.
In that case, beware :

Google is putting more functionnality into their proprietary services, and more applications are relying on that.
(e.g.: their location system is proprietary).

A good alternative is trying to get microG installed instead. It's an independent opensource implementation of the same APIs that some apps might want, and that would require the proprietary Google services.
I haven't had opportunity to test them yet, but there are people reporting success on Xperia with these.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: