Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
YoDude you are so cool man. Thanks for your input
You're welcome...

Anything worth doing requires some effort dude.

BTW, hitting that little button at the bottom of Nathan's post that reads "Thanks" also requires a little bit of effort.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Hey, does anyone know if I can put this on the Maemo Garage project?.

Nathan.

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-09-03 at 00:06.

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Hey, does anyone know if I can put this on the Maemo Garage project?.

Nathan.
Check out this document Nathan. It describes how a Maemo garage project might start up development.
I've only been involved in bug reporting and some testing so I'm not the best source of information. I would refer you to GeneralAntilles or qwerty12 two very knowledgeable members.

Regard, with school starting and upcoming events they might not be able to respond to a PM right away.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
What I wrote before was rude, I'm sorry YoDude, I see your animosity toward noobs. No worries.

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2009-09-03 at 04:53.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, can someone please move this thread to the Development forum? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm working on creating a virtual PC image (should be runnable in XP, Vistal & W7 w/ no problems) and it will hopefully have everything installed. I might have it done tomorrow.
Nathan, thanks for offering your help. And Joshue, thabnks for pushing this request. We all agree that Windows users, and non-Linux users in general, should have a simple way to get started in Maemo development.

We are planning to release a virtual image together with the Maemo 5 final SDK. Documentation to develop with Qt, Python and even on-device will be also provided from different sources.

In the meantime, if you want to help please contact the VMWare project (they offer forum, mailing list and direct contact with the developers). Otherwise you risk doing duplicated work.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
...We all agree that Windows users, and non-Linux users in general, should have a simple way to get started in Maemo development.

We are planning to release a virtual image together with the Maemo 5 final SDK. Documentation to develop with Qt, Python and even on-device will be also provided from different sources.
This is better news then anything I've heard the past few weeks (which is saying a lot, because there's been lots of good news).

Having a development environment that doesn't require a dedicated Linux system will go a long way towards increasing developer interest (at least from non-hobbyists I suspect).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchfiend For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
What I wrote before was rude, I'm sorry YoDude, I see your animosity toward noobs. No worries.
Maybe it's just animosity towards mavericks...

I feel the same way about Sarah Palin and John McCain.

lol fair enough.

Please don't make accusations or imply that my motivation is anything other than what it actualy is. Anyone is welcome to find and read all posts by a member simply by clicking on that members name and following the link or searching that members name and following the links to his or her profile to determine if he or she has an antagonistic attitude.

My reply to you in this thread would be the same for anybody who recieved helpful responses from 5 seperate members and was still not willing to make an effort.

Originally Posted by you
Wow that is too much effort. Can someone just give me a step by step with links to software on how to get up and running so I can begin :S I'm a newb to this, a mentor would be great *sigh.
then...

Originally Posted by you again
I put in some more effort today, I can't seem to get this going.
Originally Posted by me
Oh well... you could try fishing if your looking for a low effort hobby.
...A lot of us are noobs with regard to running vmware and the beta 2 image on a yet to be generally released OS (Win7). I'm sorry you were so impatient with us.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Please don't make accusations or imply that my motivation is anything other than what it actualy is. Anyone is welcome to find and read all posts by a member simply by clicking on that members name and following the link or searching that members name and following the links to his or her profile to determine if he or she has an antagonistic attitude.

My reply to you in this thread would be the same for anybody who recieved helpful responses from 5 seperate members and was still not willing to make an effort.

then...

...A lot of us are noobs with regard to running vmware and the beta 2 image on a yet to be generally released OS (Win7). I'm sorry you were so impatient with us.
Don't worry about it dude.

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, programming, sdk, virtual machine, virtualpc, windows, windows 7