Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Chennai
Yes dude the USB on the go cable available for nokia devices directly from nokia itself. click here to view that cable. click here for the compatible list. Unfortunately out nokia n900 is not in the list. But it look like the phone's listed in the compatible list & our n900 too has the same data cable socket. So it should work. Btw i ll confirm it once speaking with the nokia care line

This is for noobs:
With this cable you can connect your nokia devices directly to USB drives without the need of a computer to transfer files between them

The Following User Says Thank You to redscorpionkiller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
This is the same cable that comes with the N8..

As far as im aware i remember MAG saying that this cable is not compatible with the N900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkmunk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
altough they are both microUSB, indeed it is not compatible with the N900

Is he implying that you can use this cable without utilising the tools made available by the hostmode team?

Please say my assumption is wrong...please. I'm all out of useless, sarcastic posts for the day.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
yea he means exactly that reffyyyy....He thinks it will work just like the N8

Just connect and go on with the transfer.

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Well he did say "this is for the noobs"

Jeez

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
What is this I don't even...
Nokia's USB OTG cable requires that the host be uUSB-AB. The N900's stock USB connector is uUSB-B. It's possible to replace the N900's USB connector with an AB one, but who knows where you solder in the Plug ID pin.
Oh, and you'll have to file/dremel a small portion of the case.

Just a quick follow-up to this - if you have one and don't mind damaging it, the Nokia CA-157 cable can be made compatible to USB hostmode on the N900 by simply grinding the connector down to fit. It so happens I just bought another AC-10X charger off eBay, and it came with a bunch of N8 cables thrown in, including the CA-157.

The idea is not new, you can find any number of references to users making it fit a Samsung Galaxy S2 here on Google, so I figured hey, if it works for them it must be electrically compatible, and promptly took a drill-mounted grindstone to it until it resembled a USB micro-B connector. I managed to rip up part of the top of the plug, so I ground that off as well.

It's still a fairly tight fit, about like a new charger, and I wouldn't do this without a well and truly reinforced USB port. You have been warned. But, it works perfectly fine; I've just connected it to my primary phone, plugged in a standard Nokia USB cable and a second N900, and mounted the eMMC of the second phone without incident via hostmode-gui, so it seems to be a fully working USB OTG cable, the only problem being that as supplied it doesn't physically fit into the port on the N900.

Obviously, USB OTG cables are a matter of a few pounds on eBay; most users should probably just buy one. But, if you happen to have a CA-157 that you don't mind grinding down, it works fine.