Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
I'm guessing that the reason for it is because carriers are going to require it. Fact is, many want to have the freedom to modify phones to meet their requirements and lock out the average user from mucking with it. I didn't expect that to change with Jolla.

I expect that they will make unlocked phones available, just like most GSM phone makers do.
I would agree with this and it would make sense to offer the carriers the option of a closed mobile OS too. They do like to add there own bloatware and are also aware of how much money can be made from Advertising as demonstrated by Google with Android too.

One of the problems the carriers have with Android is that whilst it is open enough for them to re-skin, they see very little in term of advertising revenue from there handsets because the money is going to Google. With a closed Jolla device they can reap the benefits of controlled mobile advertisements too knowing that the consumer will not be able to wipe the OS with a vanilla image.

"Locking" can mean many things. Starting from limiting the choice of the network provider, and ending with signed kernel limitations and locked bootloader. What we are concerned with is the later. I.e. will there be a way to unlock those on the device which is "regular" or one will have to use special developer device for that?

Simple use case where it might matter. Imagine someone creates a kernel module for supporting certain scenario (like USB host mode or what not). Open mode / device allows installing such module. Will the user of the "closed" mode able to unlock the device and use it too, or such user will be forced to buy another device to use it? That's the main point IMO, and concerns about fragmenting the user base.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-16 at 18:59.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Haven't I already seen this movie?
Nokia somehow switched main actors mid-movie like the mother from Dirty Dancing and hoped nobody noticed.

Intel has money and a need to do something mobile where their chipsets are used. Why not double down with Tizen and MeeGo/Jolla? More possible chipsets for them to sell in an area they're lacking sales.

Just a thought.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Really? I wouldn't turn down a Medfield-based phone beforehand. See http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/06/l...800-benchmark/ And I wonder if this thing is running in pure native x86, or with (some) emulated ARM libs, so it might just get better.
Thats only marketing camapign. X86 OLD architecture. I dont like it. Definitivly not on a smartphone.

If I could, I would replace my laptop with ARM too.

I dont want to have a FAN because the CPU getting too hot.

Btw this discussion about Medfield has going on for YEARS no but nothing happens:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/int...arm,16093.html

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-16 at 19:26.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Intel's support is the kiss of death. I've seen so much interesting stuff with Intel's backing. Nothing ever comes from it and lives. Most likely it'll warp into some new v.0.5 with a new partner.
We... actually agree. I remember when Intel put their support behind Shockwave3D with Macromedia back in 1999/2000. It died off, they never did more with it (Intel).

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by volt View Post
This, this I don't like. Defensive, traditional thinking. An OS that only geeks can possibly care about for the next four quarters, and has an market share of 0.00% should not start it's segmentation willfully already. Putting up hoops for early adapters to jump through when their odds are so low already.
I'm in full disagreement with you on this. I think the dual device release model is the ideal way to do it with an open source OS if you want to compete with the big guys that can throw paid manpower at their OS development.
I would look at it as a business expense and a model which I think others will try to copy in the future. Compare giving a device away to a dev who is very happy to have it and will contribute to fixing bugs to paying someone a wage and all the other expenses that go with it.
Maybe the correct ratio of dev device to mass market device is 1/3.
I would think a dev device can serve as a bridge device between your current device and your next 2 devices. It could be an expensive device with significantly more power and equipment than the current device but able to emulate it and somewhere close to the same power and equipment as your next 2 devices.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But I'd love Intel's support behind MeeGo.
Same here.

And I would also love if Intel finally had some chips suitable for phones and gave ARM some real competion.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Again, my own personal thoughts:

What are people's thoughts on being able to switch to a R&D mode where warranty is void, but you can flash kernel, own rootfs, etc?

I think there needs to be a balance between one app being able to flash it's own kernel, rootkit your entire system and software freedom somehow.

Yes. The system needs to be flexible, but secure at the same time. Some explicit switch is OK, if user has a secure way of switching it (i.e. that malware won't be able to fake that switch).

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Thats only marketing camapign. X86 OLD architecture. I dont like it. Definitivly not on a smartphone.

If I could, I would replace my laptop with ARM too.

I dont want to have a FAN because the CPU getting too hot.
Just because the CPU in your laptop is crap, doesn't mean they all have to be.
Take a look at the Green 500 list. Power generally rules across the board, but Intel has several high-ranking entries as well. ARM has, well, not one.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla