Originally Posted by Oyjord View Post
Hi all,

Would upgrading to an 800 or 810 be a marked improvement for me? Or are the features which they offer simply overkill and more than what I use my 770 for?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Oy.
In short...

YES !

I gave up buying a 770 specifically to wait for n800.

OTOH if you are happy right now and the 770 does everything you want it to do there's no reason to spend now.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
the decision between 800 and 810 depends on what you want from it. I went for an 800 as I wanted as much local storage for music as I could get (2x16GB), and in-car navigation. I have an external bluetooth GPS, which I can also use with my phone and Nokia sports tracker leaving my tablet at home so that works better for me than a built in GPS, and I have a bluetooth kbd for those occasions I need to do some serious typing.
I reckon one thing is certain though once you get one, your 770 will start gathering dust. I pick mine up occasionally and quickly drop it again as I get frustrated with it's slowness and instabilty compared to my N800

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ East of England
After using 770 for about 7 months in April after saving some cash by building and selling some computers i got a Nokia n810 well worth the price i paid just over £200. The 2gb space is enough for me, keyboard is soo good. One thing which i would recommend you do if you get a 8xx. Is install rotation support

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
I've only had my 770 for a few months now, but I love it. I don't use it for much other than surfing the web, checking email, and probably most importantly reading ebooks using fbreader. It works great for these purposes.

However, it's not PERFECT. The unit is a bit slow to boot up, it crashes quite often for no apparent reason, and the battery life is good, but could be improved.
Do you use OS2006 and connect to WLAN networks? If yes, you must have this fix installed: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11824

The Following User Says Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ San Francisco
Hi all,

I've only had my 770 for a few months now, but I love it. I don't use it for much other than surfing the web, checking email, and probably most importantly reading ebooks using fbreader. It works great for these purposes.

However, it's not PERFECT. The unit is a bit slow to boot up, it crashes quite often for no apparent reason, and the battery life is good, but could be improved.

Would upgrading to an 800 or 810 be a marked improvement for me? Or are the features which they offer simply overkill and more than what I use my 770 for?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Oy.
I just pulled the trigger and bought a Nokia N800 from tigerdirect.com for $219 + shipping. I was kind of kicking myself because I thought I missed a chance to it, as the N800 seemed to have disappear from retail outlets the last couple of month.

I've had a Nokia 770 since last July and have been a little annoyed at times at the slow boot up, the random browser crashes, and the limited memory. For the $140 price I paid for it last year, I'm still very pleased with the device.

I am looking forward to OS2008, maps support, the faster processor and (hopefully) a very stable environment.

OT: BTW, I think I will try the memory corruption/WiFi fix for the 770, but can someone point me to where I can get instructions on installing this patch. I don't have any Linux experience (well, other than Unix stuff long, long ago).

EDIT: I feel kind of silly. I just took another look at the post regarding the memory corruption fix. I didn't know that .deb was an application extension. So I transfered the file to my 770 and just started the application. The fix installation couldn't be simpler. Haven't had a chance to play with the device to see if stability is improved.

Last edited by jorma; 2008-06-30 at 06:18.