Active Topics

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
The download section will be a big part of new users "Maemo experience" and more importantly, the first impression of the maemo community. (Sure you can use the app manager on the device - but it only gives you name and logo of the program.)

I have noticed (I am a web -developer myself) that there are some things that could be polished a bit. I have some quick ideas to give the download section a bit more finished feel. I post them here, but I can make layout -models of them if necessary, or eaven better: make the changes in the code itself for testing, if this is somehow arrangeable.

Main screen
5 "Fresh" is under "Hot" and 5 "Popular" is under "Fresh"'. Criss-cross
Move "More" buttons to the end of the list (gives you more programs, not more information of the Hot/Fresh)
Fresh/Popular list
Program title should be bigger
Slightly more space between programs
a short description -text of the program
Program list
info in 3 columns: main picture, description text, other info
downlads and votes under the install -button (other info)
description cut so that woun't be taller than picture
Program page
info in 3 columns: pictures, description text, other info
downloads,votes etc (gray text) under the install -button (other info)
"Stable Quality" Can a program in extras level be anything else?
Authors and links in same layout, under the pict/description columns.
Comments "report abuse" has too much visual value. Small "Report this" link under the date would be in pair with the Talk -area
Other comments
Screenshots are very easy and fast way to get the idea of the program. When moved to extras, program should have atleast one screenshot or some other picture. Putting more screenshots should be recommended.
full size -preview for the pictures (800x480) would be nice

The Following User Says Thank You to kalle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by kalle View Post
Screenshots are very easy and fast way to get the idea of the program. When moved to extras, program should have atleast one screenshot or some other picture. Putting more screenshots should be recommended.
Right. Next time the karma sytsem is changed it should give extra karma to whoever adds the first screenshot to an existing application in downloads. Everyone can do it, not only the author of the application.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I couldn't agree more. It is possible that I am unfamiliar with developer websites, but I find maemo.org to be the most difficult and nonsensical website to find the information I am looking for.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I agree with all of what kalle said in the first post. I would add the following, using the same terminology to refer to different pages as kalle:

In a Program List page, such as http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/games/, allow clicking on the image to navigate to the Program page for that software (e.g. clicking on the image under the heading EightyOne would navigate to http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/eightyone/). At the moment clicking on the image zooms the image, but I think it's more logical to go to the Program page.

Similarly on the main http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/ page, allow clicking on the images to navigate to the Program page for that software. This is especially important for this page with the currently tiny text links which are a small target to hit.

On a Program page such as http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/eightyone/, clicking on an image zooms it, which is fine on this kind of page. However, it is unclear how to remove the zoom image - clicking outside it doesn't work, you have to click on the image itself. Maybe add a close button and/or allow clicking outside the image to dismiss it. As kalle says, it would be nice to see full-size 800x480 images when zoomed.

Also, the descriptions could be tidied up and more standardised. Looking at the first page of http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/games/, for example, the following could be improved:

- "EightyOne is part of the extras repository" seems messy - suggest remove.
- BattleGweled needs better description.
- Bomberman IT2008 - removed jargon "hildonized" and probably "Updated for OS2008"

(Please note that I'm not trying to criticise those particular apps - they are just the first ones I looked at!)

In general, are the descriptions modifiable by other members of the community, or only the original developers? It would be nice if the community could improve them in a wiki-like manner.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-10-22 at 13:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: