Active Topics

Is there a task navigator plugin I can install on my 770 (ITOS 2006 3.2006.49-2)?

I think there's room for two plus the App Launcher. I wanna keep Bookmarks but I don't use Contacts. I think I have the terminology correct: most of the screen is Home, top is StatusBar, left is Navigator.

Random ideas: turn Control Panel into a dropdown list, Recent Documents, maybe a Bookmarks-like presentation of RSS feeds, maybe something contact-related that works with Yahoo Mail and SIP phone apps, etc.

Thanks for any links!

Last edited by dmphzhopjrbffx; 2007-07-26 at 21:31.

What exactly do you mean by 'task navigator'?

If you want to see what's running, you can install the CPU task bar application, and there's a drop-down that will show a few running processes, and memory hogs.

If you install Osso Xterm you have access to the *nix tools 'ps' and 'top', which will show you everything running (ps), and a real-time list sorted by CPU usage (top in default mode). Top has interactive options, and ps has command line options.

What exactly do you mean by 'task navigator'?
In this shot...

...we see the Task Navigator area on the left. (also, StatusBar area top, and Home area center).

We see the three standard Navigator plugins...
  • Bookmarks (see globe)
  • Contacts (see envelope, sometimes it's two people)
  • App Launcher
I'm gonna get rid of Contacts and replace it with something, well, anything else. But I haven't found another plugin that can go there yet.

Last edited by dmphzhopjrbffx; 2007-07-26 at 21:32.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
How exactly are you going to get rid of Contacts? (note that the mere mentioning of getting rid of Contacts made me dance in the streets with joy) AFAIK, those top three shitty apps are fixed with superglue.

In any case, if you want to dump the excrement that is Contacts, why not put GPE Contacts in there? At least that one works...

Thanks, Karel.

I'm hoping the requested plugin will see that there's no room and ask which one (Bookmarks or Contacts) I wanna get rid of. I think GPE-Contacts just installs inside the App Launcher (Extras folder by default).

BTW I think the proper terminology is Navigator plugin, not Navigator app, so I'm gonna edit this thread. Searching in an xterm environment, we can find plugins.conf in a few folders. Also note that later(?) versions of the OS added functionality to the Task Navigator control panel...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dmphzhopjrbffx View Post
Thanks, Karel.

I'm hoping the requested plugin will see that there's no room and ask which one (Bookmarks or Contacts) I wanna get rid of. I think GPE-Contacts just installs inside the App Launcher (Extras folder by default).

BTW I think the proper terminology is Navigator plugin, not Navigator app, so I'm gonna edit this thread. Searching in an xterm environment, we can find plugins.conf in a few folders. Also note that later(?) versions of the OS added functionality to the Task Navigator control panel...
AFAICS, only "web" and "contacts" appear in the list of sidebar apps, so in practice the only thing we can do is choose the order of those. Not really that much functionality. I'm actually wondering why someone wasted coding time on that control panel option.

There's a dropdown arrow which indicates a way to change Contacts to anything else in the listbox that appears upon clicking the arrow. The plugin I seek would try to add itself to that listbox.