Active Topics

Notices

Poll: What MMORPG game would u like to have ?
Poll Options
What MMORPG game would u like to have ?

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
Don't see the need for much personality in the NPC's as it's an MMO but perhaps Dave was pointing towards an all encompassing galaxy story that must be interesting to keep the player playing...

Would be nice to have "events" happen that can change the course of the game, would be awesome say for different factions to see each other differently and perhaps the owner of the game i.e Teamer could instigate wars by say paying more for one faction to attack another kind of like a bounty, one player would therefore feel compeled to attack the other while the other player sees it as random unprevoked attackes from some evil faction.

In elite the only real AI was the pirates and police I recall (hopefully correctly) I like the idea of having some areas of a game safer than other but obviously the real money is far away, mining etc...

MOO had good interaction between species and the longer you conversed with one the better your alliance, allowing for better trade and exchange of technology but another race could undermine this allience using sabotage.

Teamer do you plane to have any actual flying? I know you said no 3D and perhaps doing something like StarControl would be a bit much but I assume something like that of Master of Orion could be done fairly simply? Ever played it?
No , actually never played it , but i am planning to make some movements on the map later on after the game is complete , and i would try my best to make some movement things maybe like red alert II .

I will start building the game tonight , registration will be available to only couple of people who are willing to test the game while it is being developed as there will probably be alot of total-game-restarts , but for graphics , i will use images with text on it for the beginning and whoever posts an equivalent to the image (designs whats needed) , that image will be replaced

so testers say "i wanna test it while developing"

I WANNA TEST IT WHILE DEVELOPING!

Moo work by having "fleets" where a "fleet" is any number of ships of different types, so as an example if you wanted to attack a colony you would have say 2 destroyers , 10 fighters and say 5 bombers. The bombers are for planet bombardment, fighter for fighting and maybe the destroyers firing at range (these could also fire on planets)

You could do the same thing if you wanted to say go mining, you would send a fleet of x many mining craft backed up by a defence force. MOO was turn based though... I assume you are working on time?

The fleets were shown by a simple icon and then the combat was turn based but again an MMORPG may have players offline so combat would have to be automated, I asked a similar question a while ago here

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/611557-auto-combat-system/

In this kind of game people don't have to focus on the "sim" part of the game and can go round trying to kill other players for loot, economins isn't for everyone.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ KL, Msia
Heroes of Might and Magic II type of game. Its a perfect game for browsers, and with limited multiplayer. You can call yours Heroes of Galactic Fleets or something.

I WANNA TEST IT WHILE DEVELOPING!

Moo work by having "fleets" where a "fleet" is any number of ships of different types, so as an example if you wanted to attack a colony you would have say 2 destroyers , 10 fighters and say 5 bombers. The bombers are for planet bombardment, fighter for fighting and maybe the destroyers firing at range (these could also fire on planets)

You could do the same thing if you wanted to say go mining, you would send a fleet of x many mining craft backed up by a defence force. MOO was turn based though... I assume you are working on time?

The fleets were shown by a simple icon and then the combat was turn based but again an MMORPG may have players offline so combat would have to be automated, I asked a similar question a while ago here

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/611557-auto-combat-system/

In this kind of game people don't have to focus on the "sim" part of the game and can go round trying to kill other players for loot, economins isn't for everyone.
Yes thats already in my head man

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teamer For This Useful Post:
I think I just wet myself!

I think I just wet myself!
hahaha can't wait till i get home , i have to port whatsapp and start with this game

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Didn't read the whole topic but from what i've seen from the poll it's not the same as the game I am suggesting.

Squeebs was a game I played very shortly but looks and play's like a very good game. It's a 2d sidescrolling MMORPG. Much like mario but then with everyone having their own champion/hero.

The game is long dead and no longer in development. What would be way better then any of the options shown right now is having city's that are already built.
Just standard towns that anyone can visit, with various shops and taverns. Let people team up in party's to go into an instanced zone wich only they can enter (5 people).

With it being 2d and sidescrolling it doesn't need a lot of graphics work.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Ninja Pirate Bath: where the ninjas and pirates take a bath together and you have to be the first one to get clean.

[edit] genius is never appreciated by the masses

Last edited by ArnimS; 2012-02-07 at 20:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
long time ago i stumbled upon a flash game which is a space-like trajectory game. players have floating bases where you shoot ammunition and stuff at your opponents. you need money for ammo or repairs or upgrade and you can also move your base. just an idea

Don't see the need for much personality in the NPC's as it's an MMO but perhaps Dave was pointing towards an all encompassing galaxy story that must be interesting to keep the player playing...
Basically, the better the narrative, the better the game. Think about how to make the game enjoyable to people who are watching rather than playing.

With the 4X idea, communication is a must. But who communicates like an alien? Can we make a communication system that mostly only allows alien-like communication?

I much prefer co-operative games to competitive. The latter biases the game towards obsessive minimaxers (the opposite of immersive) who've been playing the longest. Co-op games encourage players to make the game more fun for each other.

We could conceivably just steal the Star Trek IP and still have 4X. Everyone plays one of the chars, each of whom have different roles and abilities. Logging out is equivalent to beaming up, at which point a new player can take over that char. Of course you could have many parallel games.

Last edited by _David_; 2012-02-08 at 04:17.