I recently asked a friend how the new Total Recall movie was; he said, "It was okay, it had a lot of cool future technology." To which I replied, "Like what?" He said, "Well you could make phone calls by just placing your hand on glass."

I yelled, "Are you kidding me?!?"

He said, "What?"

I said, "Give a character a phone that doesn't break when you drop it, that never runs out of battery, is waterproof, and isn't built like a tank -- then I'll be impressed!"

Get the basics down first.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...your post got me to guggle and indeed, there's a remake... oO... and to put a line from a review "No Mars, No Mutants, No soul,"...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I've seen the original a few times and it is one of the epic Iso-Arska movies (Big Arnold, that is...) The remake I know nothing about.

What do you mean, make phonecalls with touching glass? What glass?

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
"Well you could make phone calls by just placing your hand on glass."
Funny, that's how I start calls, as well, touching the glass display on my cellphone...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Have you seen the old star wars movies. R2D2 has a cool hologram video feature with the princess . Help me obi-wan you are my only hope. Anyone know if they used galaxy beam 2 back in the day?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

This is an issue that irks me with the majority of todays sci-fi movies tbh. There is little or no imagination used for Future tech that is not already possible in some way or is not really anymore than 15yrs ahead of what we have now.

Most of the mainstream movie studios appear to be using the idea of "relate-able realism" to hide the fact that they have lost their imagination.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I said, "Give a character a phone that doesn't break when you drop it, that never runs out of battery, is waterproof, and isn't built like a tank -- then I'll be impressed!"

Get the basics down first.
Quick reply...
Siemens Me45 is one of the most famous of waterproof mobile phones (used by Jason Bourne in The Bourne Supremacy film, for instance; and Aptera had an appearance in Star Wars; both Siemens Mobile and Aptera are now bankrupt). Waterproof, dust-proof, shockproof, and excellent aesthetic design.
Ericsson R310s is also quite original, with external antenna akin to a shark's fin. Nokia 5500 and Samsung B2100 are more recent models.
"Never runs out of battery" is the most impossible part. Solar battery - when sun is here. Motion-winded electricity generator, akin to wrist watch - unless the phone is lost and stationary. Thermal electricity generator - unless it's too cold outside. Nuclear power generator - even it can run out, with time.
Best wishes.
North Korea announces nuclear-powered phone

April 2012
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2012-11-13 at 13:30.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
Siemens Me45 is one of the most famous of waterproof mobile phones (used by Jason Bourne in The Bourne Supremacy film, for instance; and Aptera had an appearance in Star Wars; both Siemens Mobile and Aptera are now bankrupt). Waterproof, dust-proof, shockproof, and excellent aesthetic design.
Ericsson R310s is also quite original, with external antenna akin to a shark's fin. Nokia 5500 and Samsung B2100 are more recent models.
"Never runs out of battery" is the most impossible part. Solar battery - when sun is here. Motion-winded electricity generator, akin to wrist watch - unless the phone is lost and stationary. Thermal electricity generator - unless it's too cold outside. Nuclear power generator - even it can run out, with time.
Best wishes.

Haha that is a nice one

Wikiwide rarely posts but views almost every thread...However, I always look forward to his posts as they are always something nobody in the discussion brings out...Its like a sense of change in the sea of plain old plain old...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I imagine a portable device fed by sugar pills (à la living cells). The waste would be water vapour and CO2.

Your friend didn't explain well the concept.

The phone was insert on the hand, you can "talk to the hand".

If you want image, you just need to put the hand over a glass.

It was a remake so have some stuff from the original and a lot new stuff (history speaking), i have a mix feeling when i saw it.

Sorry about the first image, in a quick serch this is the best image i found of the hand phone of the movie.

The second one is when put it on a glass image thing.

Greetings.

Tags
future, thanks for joke