And, I have to ask, what size pants to all of you guys wear?? Unless this forum is all women who always wear skirts or short-shorts (if it is... feel free to PM me anytime... I'm free for dinner, btw ), you have some very weird/small/designer? pants.

I don't own a pair of jeans, shorts, or dress-pants that my N810 does not comfortably fit into. (With its softcase, nonetheless! Whilst I have my phone in my other side pocket, and my wallet in a back pocket.)

The N810 is in no way, shape, or form, too big to be pocketable, so shush about that, please.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by MobileCrunch
This documents all specifically and repeatedly mention “TMO” launch targets. We’ve never seen this stand for anything besides T-Mobile in this context
Further evidence that this is a Nokia-sanctioned leak to keep the community happy. This isn't talking about T-Mobile, it's talking about the growth in community at talk.maemo.org ;-)

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-05-25 at 22:26. Reason: Added smiley.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Another thing...

The press has been LOVING this new tablet design, but in the comments below are negative posts, many of them from users of this forum. Ironic: the individuals that wish the platform (Maemo) to do well, are largely acting against its success.

YARR!
}:^)~
I'm not sure about the press all "LOVING" it,

Boy Genius Report's article seems to question why they would bother making it: "Anyone excited for it or are we looking at another IT destined to be lost in a retail wasteland?"

NokiaExperts.com says that they like the idea of the tablets but haven't liked using them in the past due to the sluggishness of the processor; and asks if any of their readers actually use them.

The negative posts (at least in here) seem to be from people who were really just hoping for an N800 (or N810) with better hardware, and who aren't thrilled that the device is morphing into something only tangentially related to a tablet.

Now, as you've mentioned a couple times, this entire thread is all speculation, so yes, it's a bit silly to get all worked up over what may not even be an actual issue.

That being said, considering how long people have been waiting for a new tablet from Nokia, with the lack of official information, speculation becomes sustenance.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to switchfiend For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
I don't own a pair of jeans, shorts, or dress-pants that my N810 does not comfortably fit into. (With its softcase, nonetheless! Whilst I have my phone in my other side pocket, and my wallet in a back pocket.)
Perhaps it's because I'm skinny, but with car keys, phone (no longer a problem ;-/), wallet and train ticket I find an N810 too uncomfortable to have in a trouser pocket for any length of time.

Don't forget, Rover is 18mm thick: that's about half a centimetre more than an N810. With the smaller width & height it's going to properly look like a brick (as my colleagues' N95s and Sony Ericsson X1 do).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"it's quite amazing how worked up people get over a somewhat smaller screen. Seriously, if ebook reading is the number one use case and your eyesight is failing, how about getting something with a 6"+ eInk screen? Even prolonged staring at 4.1" will be bad for your eyes."

Yes, you make an excellent point. Clearly, this thread is a powerful argument that I should not sock my money away for anything Nokia is planning to do in the near future, but I should instead opt for a Kindle.

Sure, any year now Nokia may return to something I want. When that happens, I will be interested. In the meantime, I'll hang on to my N810 and N800 and put any disposable money I have elsewhere.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Um, you actually read with a thumb over the screen?
Hey, you can do more than just read things on that screen! You can poke it too, and depending upon whats being shown on screen when and where your finger comes down, sometimes things happen. It's turn of the century, "interactive"-buzzword compliant.

More seriously, if my thumbs aren't busy prodding pixels, they're resting below the screen, not beside it, so on screen controls are closer than the hardware button.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
And, I have to ask, what size pants to all of you guys wear?? Unless this forum is all women who always wear skirts or short-shorts (if it is... feel free to PM me anytime... I'm free for dinner, btw ), you have some very weird/small/designer? pants.

The N810 is in no way, shape, or form, too big to be pocketable, so shush about that, please.
I suspect I speak for a good many people (at least Americans it would seem) who don't have loads of extra space in their pockets, as...to put it delicately...we may have a bit too much junk in the proverbial trunk.

Depending on the pants, I can fit my N800 in them, but it's not with loads of room to spare, and even in my side pocket, I have to remember to take it out when I sit down, lest the extra tightness cause my pants to split like the Incredible Hulk.

I envy those of you who have such copious amounts of space in their pockets

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
I only come here because it used be an Internet Tablet Talk forum. It looks like things have moved on.

Personally speaking if I want to discuss mobile phones I shall go to Howard Forums or somesuch.
Perhaps these forums will evolve into Mer oriented discussions about Mer running on other MIDs, netbooks, UMPCs, and tablets (MID size or UMPC size ... or maybe even larger). So, don't give up on talking about tablets here, even if Nokia stops making MID-ish tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Having been a member in the Maemo 3 UI design team as well as the upcoming Maemo 5 UI, and having been involved in creating and driving the stylus/finger detection UI's there in Maemo 3, I'd say as the designer of that particular feature that it wasn't a really great idea. It was a neat trick, but I/we massively underestimated the workload of doing it actually properly.

Still, launching finger keyboard while pressing with a finger, launching stylus keyboard while tapping with a stylus, it was a nice idea. Then again, we're going towards finger based UI's, as has been already discussed previously. Nobody is pulling their stylus out just to start typing.

But the latter part actually I don't get. The Maemo 5 UI is far better than Maemo 3, in virtually every regard. Using it is a much more pleasurable experience. Where do you even get the idea that it would be optimized for eye candy? That we wouldn't optimize for the screen estate? That the designers would have suddenly gone insane? How can you even say that?
I understand that. But we don't want it optimized for a smaller space, because the size of the screen is one of the biggest differentiating factors from other smart phones. If i wanted a phone locked in by a carrier, i would take the iphone hands down. But tablets are something special and different. I understand the idea to popularize them, but not at the expense of the tablets.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Perhaps it's because I'm skinny, but with car keys, phone (no longer a problem ;-/), wallet and train ticket I find an N810 too uncomfortable to have in a trouser pocket for any length of time.

Don't forget, Rover is 18mm thick: that's about half a centimetre more than an N810. With the smaller width & height it's going to properly look like a brick (as my colleagues' N95s and Sony Ericsson X1 do).
I didn't realize that Rover was that much thicker... damn.

And, yes, about the keys: you are very right. I usually end up keeping them in the same pocket as my E71 when I have its softcase, and, if I don't, they're usually buttoned up in my breast pocket. (Unless I'm wearing some of my favorite shorts, which usually have an extra, lower, buttonable, pocket on each side where I keep my keys and such.)

But... I wouldn't need a tablet + phone if Rover's screen was bigger

Edit: And, btw, I would suggest at least trying a pair of those shorts for anyone here, especially if they enjoy bringing their gadgets and such around with them and not looking like a complete nerd Besides, they're very well made.

Last edited by Aisu; 2009-05-25 at 21:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile