Notices

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by n800-addict View Post
Anyone know what this Podshow thing is?
It's a podcasting network started by Adam Curry (former MTV VJ) a couple of years ago. They produce Geekbrief, among others, as well as a few internet TV series.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Damn...I want this to work, but like others in this thread, its not so easy. It is beta after all, thanks Karl, so I too am doing some minor slack cutting, but am reminded that this isn't some intrepid programmer (thanks Tahitibob=Ermining) but the Nokia team...come on guys...usability is key!

Is anyone else having the problem when refreshing the channels that all the items are appearing again as unread? Every time I refresh it says I have fifty-some unread items even though I've just marked them all as read. Maybe just a bug?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
Is anyone else having the problem when refreshing the channels that all the items are appearing again as unread? Every time I refresh it says I have fifty-some unread items even though I've just marked them all as read. Maybe just a bug?
Yes. Thankfully, we don't have to mark them as seen one by one.

Well, I think I'm about ready to put this one on the sidelines until the next update is released. I feel like I've given it a fair shake having used it the past few days, but it's just too frustrating. The concept is absolutely wonderful, but the implementation is dreadful. I really, really, really, really hope it matures sooner than later.

I'd say it's a great first step - if you think of what the first beta release of some programs look like - bare bones type of stuff - this definitely looks a few generations past that. I'm definitely encouraged by what I see and I hope the developers keep working on the program and ironing out all the little issues.

Of course Nokia's keeping an eye on what we're saying about this application.
Who do you think the "beta testers" really are?
But it owuld be pretty damn nice if one of the actual Video Center developers would chime in here...at least the project manager or someone like that who can publicly acknowledge bugs and progress.
And no, I don't mean another stupid "blog" or the maemo developer mailing list...I mean here, in these forums.
They can confirm their IDs with the Admin of the forums and gain a special "Nokia Dev" or "Nokia PM" user title.
Of course, this being a public forums perhaps it would be best if the PM or someone from the PR department do it so they won't embarrass Nokia HQ.

The Podshow stuff streams just fine after setting it to use mplayer with the 1024 cache size (thanks for the hint!). I knew Adam was doing this a long time ago but I stopped listening to his show in favor of more technical podcasts as well as teaching the U.S. DoD about "podcasting" (read: talk slowly to the *****s and wait a year for it to happen). Some streams crash mplayer though. Would be nice if Nokia beefed up the codec support on the built-in media player application so it can handle the varying video streaming methods used on the internet as well as getting WMV licensed which helps kill two birds with one stone when it comes to Windows-only streams as well as their upcoming Ovi Music Store.

Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
I'd say it's a great first step - if you think of what the first beta release of some programs look like - bare bones type of stuff - this definitely looks a few generations past that. I'm definitely encouraged by what I see and I hope the developers keep working on the program and ironing out all the little issues.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree completely that it's a good first step, but right now it's just a bit too unstable for me to rely on for daily use. Something else that's been pointed out already is kind of making me scratch my head as well - the fact that this is tagged as a 1.0 release. Nowhere on it's project page does it list it as "beta" or "testing" regarding it's development status (in fact, it doesn't even mention what status it's in). And secondly this is a relatively mature Nokia app developed by Nokia engineers that's already been fully implemented on the S60 platform. I guess I just feel like it was a bit premature to release this in it's semi-crippled state and I guess I don't think there was really any excuse for it. They can't possibly not know what's wrong with this thing and I just find it hard to believe that they would go ahead and throw it out there half-baked.

@ iball - I certainly agree that boosting codec support would help greatly. But I'm not so concerned with WMV as I am MPEG-4 part 14 since that's the native format you find a huge percentage of video podcasts encoded in these days. I don't know how significantly licensing these formats would raise the price of the NIT, but it would definitely be worth it to make it more attractive to a larger audience IMO.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Chicago, IL, USA
Well, based on this thread, I downloaded and tried out Video Center. I have a problem, though, that pretty much kills any potential use for me. If I change the setting to store video on my memory card, clicking the download button on any video item causes video center to go to lala land, requiring me to kill the app. If I leave it set to use the internal device memory, then download works, but it will only take a couple videos to fill up the internal memory on the N800. Thus, the whole idea of 'download videos to have while on the go' doesn't work.

My memory card is a 4gb card in the internal memory slot. Anyone else had success with downloading to an internal memory slot card?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebie View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree completely that it's a good first step, but right now it's just a bit too unstable for me to rely on for daily use. Something else that's been pointed out already is kind of making me scratch my head as well - the fact that this is tagged as a 1.0 release. Nowhere on it's project page does it list it as "beta" or "testing" regarding it's development status (in fact, it doesn't even mention what status it's in). And secondly this is a relatively mature Nokia app developed by Nokia engineers that's already been fully implemented on the S60 platform. I guess I just feel like it was a bit premature to release this in it's semi-crippled state and I guess I don't think there was really any excuse for it. They can't possibly not know what's wrong with this thing and I just find it hard to believe that they would go ahead and throw it out there half-baked.

@ iball - I certainly agree that boosting codec support would help greatly. But I'm not so concerned with WMV as I am MPEG-4 part 14 since that's the native format you find a huge percentage of video podcasts encoded in these days. I don't know how significantly licensing these formats would raise the price of the NIT, but it would definitely be worth it to make it more attractive to a larger audience IMO.
a) There is nothing anywhere that I can see that says this is a 1.0 release.
b) On a page filled by white and blue, there's a large red portion that clearly reads BETA on the homepage.

"I guess I just feel like it was a bit premature to release this in it's semi-crippled state and I guess I don't think there was really any excuse for it. They can't possibly not know what's wrong with this thing and I just find it hard to believe that they would go ahead and throw it out there half-baked."

Dude, it's not finished yet. They're putting it out there early so that we can help them fix up the bugs and problems that their own internal testing doesn't have the time to test. The only difference between this and what you are asking for is that for another six months to a year, we wouldn't have known of it's existance.

Man, people complain that Nokia's all secretive and then when they decide to throw us a nice juicy bone, they ***** that it's not finished and not perfect even though it's clearly marked BETA BETA BETA all over the place.

Seriously, is there ANYTHING Nokia could do that would make you people happy?