For travelling purposes (searching for and booking AirBNB locations on the road, last minute)
I have found out that neither MicroB, opera mobile, qml browser, macuco, dillo, fennec; all the browsers in the repositories including extras-devel do not manage to load the javascript airbnb site properly, thus making it useless for this purpose.

I thought I had chrome or chromium for Maemo somewhere downloaded, but I can't find it anymore. Last time I checked I could not reconnect to jacekowski.

To wrap up my post and come to the question:

Is there any practical way to browse a javascript site such as airbnb.com properly?
Been travelling with my friend, who has an iPhone 4s, and saved our asses. It was painful finding out my N900 could not be of any help when we needed to book a new sleeping place last minute, with its current setup.

What could be a solution?
Chrome? Chromium? (where to get those?)
Iceweasel on Easy Debian with the 'standard image' at http://qole.org/files//debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2.lzma
was not of any help either.

Is it possible with a newer image through Easy debian with Debian Wheezy / Debian Jessie? Or DebianN900 through Uboot?

I hope it has this capability to do so, if anyone knows.
In Maemo community I trust..

The Following User Says Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi,

just a quick reply: I just tested on easy ubuntu: midori and firefox fails to load www.airbnb.com properly. Links2 can, but it is text-based so it is not useable for this as well.

I have chromium installed on Maemo, that also fails...

Cheers,

jm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
I was never able to get it to work on my PC, let alone mobile.

Crappiest site I ever saw.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnHughes For This Useful Post:
It works here on updated Firefox 40, Safari, Chrome on both Linux Mint, Mac OS X, and Windows 7.

Would call the site heavy, as many are nowadays.

Full javascript loading on Maemo, anno 2015.
Possibility?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Fennec 17 might work. I use it for some sites that stopped working with MicroB. It's in the community thumb-testing repo.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DA5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
well i use operamini normally as its simply the lightest and fastest browser available on n900 working fine with most sites though it got its own nuances
on the n900 it allows for multiple instances and dozens of tabs without lag got bookmark sync facebook sharing speeddial not configurable keyboard shortcuts is battrey freindly stable enough good for reading news and stuff
i tried airbnb on it opens fine but as i am unaware how it works i ll leave it up to you to evaluate

on a sidenote i recently upgraded it to 8.0 from 6.5 and its light years better now only problem is the idocracy of opera to i.e they overhauled the ui completely even the damm botom bar that now takes me to home as from eternity it was the refresh button even they completely overhauled the damm keyboard .

opera mini
http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions/

phoneme
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10#maemo

installation instructions
install phoneme i.e (cvm_maemo-
mr2.b168+svn20547-20120523_armel.deb) from davy's page install it then download opera 8.0 from opera's official site

then open file manager locate the file and click to execute it
thats all

let me know how it panned out for you

İİ this post is lightly edited under construction as its intended to be a thread later on

Last edited by nokiabot; 2015-08-29 at 20:31. Reason: gramatical mistakes and wall of text

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
my current setup to get a decent browser:
vpn vnc to a 2 ghz x86 server
you get up to date browser versions + extensions
you pay via increased 3g traffic and slow downs on video heavy websites.
you escape the shortage on good arm browser and the shortage of cpu power and shortage of available memory of the n900.
The browsers arent fingerfriendly by default/at all.
pro and con you have the fun of setting it up

Last edited by pythoneye2; 2015-08-30 at 00:01. Reason: added non fingerfriendliness

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pythoneye2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
Hi,

just a quick reply: I just tested on easy ubuntu: midori and firefox fails to load www.airbnb.com properly. Links2 can, but it is text-based so it is not useable for this as well.

I have chromium installed on Maemo, that also fails...

Cheers,

jm
It's possible to load this webpage by the use of iceweasel 38.2.1 on an easydebian image. Midori or Luakit does not do the job.This website is also too heavy it takes about 5 min. before the homepage is fully loaded.
Attached Images

Last edited by jellyroll; 2015-09-01 at 00:27.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Hi all thanks for your responses,

Opera mini 8 is blazing fast, I might use it for browsing news sites from now on, rather than outdated opera mobile. I don't like that it reroutes your traffic to (in my case) an opera server in Iceland, not usable IMO for logins. I remember thinking the same back when still using a Nokia N8.

Fennec 17 on a fresh and updated CSSU thumb backup copied temporarily via backupmenu is also fast and loads the site, however we cannot choose properly the date and location into the Airbnb homepage.

VNC I could try and set that up but for quick and dirty lifesaving I prefer not to have a setup that is remote and non-touch friendly. I would not use the server for anything else at the moment.

Jellyroll has found the solution with iceweasel 38, it has proved to worked fully on your device, I have to try that out for myself now.

Full javascript loading is possible on Nokia N900 after all, in 2015.
Thanks so much

Last edited by Dongle Fongle; 2015-09-01 at 09:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
I only want to add that there is airbnb application for sailfish so it's matter of porting it to maemo (look at marmistrz thread).

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95842
https://openrepos.net/content/simonepsp/cutebnb

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, debian900, easy debian, iceweasel, javascript