Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
I've managed to fill my rootfs by uninstalling and reinstalling python a few times.

I had an issue where no python apps seemed to work, so tried to reinstall it. Made a few mistakes and seem to have buggered it. Things I've typed in as root:
apt-get install -f
apt-get install python2.5-runtime
apt-get --reinstall install python
apt-get remove python

Anyway I know I've been stupid and want to flash the device, but can someone confirm to me that this totally wipes the rootfs partition, so I can go back to starting from scratch? I *think* I tried this before and it didn't resolve the issue.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Anyway I know I've been stupid and want to flash the device, but can someone confirm to me that this totally wipes the rootfs partition, so I can go back to starting from scratch? I *think* I tried this before and it didn't resolve the issue.
Reflashing does totally wipe and replace the rootfs. The majority of the python libraries are now held in /opt though, so won't be affected. You probably want to delete everything from /opt before flashing (or flash the eMMC as well - this will wipe absolutely everything from the device though, so backup MyDocs first).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks very much for the info Rob1n.

I've flashed before (using these instructions), but not deleted everything from /opt. Would you advise the following action plan.

1. Backup
2. get root, go to /opt and then do a deltree (i'll have to lookup whatever the linux version of this is)
3. Turn off the phone and put it into update mode and do a re-flash of the new firmware

Thanks
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

didn't the setup wizard (first boot) wipe /opt already? So in theory, you don't need to delete everything manually before you flash...

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
I've flashed before (using these instructions), but not deleted everything from /opt. Would you advise the following action plan.

1. Backup
2. get root, go to /opt and then do a deltree (i'll have to lookup whatever the linux version of this is)
3. Turn off the phone and put it into update mode and do a re-flash of the new firmware
If you're flashing the eMMC then that'll wipe out /opt anyway. Otherwise yes, I'd advise getting root, changing to /opt, and running "rm -rf *". This may leave some directories (as the python ones are bind-mounted elsewhere, so may not be deletable) but that shouldn't cause any issues later.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Rob1n.

Thanks - I'll flash the N900 shortly and post the results up here for future reference.