Notices

Hi there.

You're thinking right now, "Ah crap. He's got like, two posts. And he's asking a question. Probably didn't search. Loser."

Well, your first assumption is right.

I've looked around. I've went to Tablet Scene. I've looked at articles dated anywhere from seven months to a year ago.

Is it possible to get gizmo, and use it to have a video chat with someone with Msn on a regular computer?

You'd think such a simple question could be found on the internet.

I'm about -this- close from getting an N800. I have a Palm TX and simply do not like the wifi. Which is the primary reason I got it.

So tell me. Gizmo's got video calls. But does it do it to only others with Gizmo accounts?

Or can I use Gizmo to make a video call to MSN users, or even AIM users? Without that person having Gizmo?

its gizmo to gizmo only

although the new pc gizmo isnt that bad, it does instant messaging for all the services, its actually not bad at all from that stand point.

the quality of the video is, well, pretty poor.. but it does work, and with high speed access its usable.. you can even do video/voice at the same time

The Following User Says Thank You to Delphipgmr For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I appreciate it alot.

Now, if I can deviate from the topic a little, will video chat be possible for those who have google talk on their PC.

I ask this mainly because I'm going off to college. My parents are going to miss me and I'll admit I'll miss them.

I'm pretty sure they'd download a single client to be able to see my face while talking to me.

-Edited because "They're going to miss them" isn't real.

Last edited by Branchedout; 2008-08-21 at 02:03.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12969
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22142
search is your friend
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ mexico
if you can I have tried my N800 to a laptop and has functioned only wonder what he proved to gizmo gizmo but I have not even tried to gizmo to msn

I am from mexico even if we want to try a video call just Tell Me a private message

Last edited by busta123; 2008-08-21 at 02:32.

well your best bet would be to use a package that supports real video conferencing..

the n8X0 is pretty bad quality, unless you want mom and dad to laugh at you..

try like skype and good video cams, this way you can have free phone calls too

I agree that your best bet is to use Skype on a laptop or PC for video calls. I use Skype video on my Linux laptop and the video and voice quality is outstanding.

I have made Gizmo to Gizmo video calls from my N800. The incoming video from a Windows laptop is ok. The outgoing video from the N800 is very grainy, but usable. I've had some inconsistency getting audio to work on every call. I made calls to NY while vacationing in Mexico and used it to show my brother around the hotel. Both the Gizmo N800 and PC clients are easy to set up.

Good luck in college!
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Last edited by possessedskier; 2008-08-21 at 12:49.

If you want to use MSN, someone has ported aMSN to the N8x0 and gotten it to work with the built-in webcam. Here's what you need:

http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n810/

Read the README.txt first. It has the instructions for setup.

I had this working on my N800 at one time. I can't remember if it was before or after I upgraded to Diablo. I think after.

Have fun with that. Well, up until the time you realize that the Nokia's built-in webcam is shite.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
From tablet to tablet the built in SIP client does voice and video. In my opinion the quality is better than Gizmo.

If you can find a proper SIP client supporting video for the PC. This thread has something to try:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=188746

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Hi i have tried some ways to to video conference (n810 <---> pc) like:
° using the internet call app, this one works with two NITs but when i try to a pc only works the audio and the pc can see me but i cant see the pc. i think that this app cant recieve video from a pc.
°the another way was using gizmo this actually works but the video quality is realy poor plus the gizmo always disconect.
°to just listen audio the skype is the best.
°i tried also using msn but dont recognise the n810cam

if i need to watch somebody ii use , after several tries, the gizmo. if i turn of my camera the video quallity is so much better but they cant seeme. if i dont need to see skype is the best.