Also from Engadget:HTC Files Patent for capacitive stylus with resistive accuracy

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/14/h...tive-accuracy/

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Then you'll LOVE this:
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/08/...your-location/

Wasn't WebOS based on Linux, as I recall? Also.. Isn't the "phone stack" in Maemo 5 supposed to be called 'ofono'? Is that phone stack opened up as open-source? I'll bet it's nooooot!

My sentiment exactly.
That statement on the Pre is not a Palm one, but a Google one as that VERY SAME statement is being asked on my Android phone as soon as I start it up for the first time.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by wert613 View Post
^ I am also disturbed by the direction this device is headed, the attraction of the NIT's to me was the *lack* of gsm radio. I just wanted a wifi enabled PDA equivalent. The PDA is a dying species.
The GSM capabilities made the tablet smaller. No one would ever buy a 4" phone. May be Apple ones...

Talking about unlocking, I have had my phone (GSM) unlocked by he carrier (T-Mobile) while under a contract here in the USA.

I travel abroad to my home country (india) and I just had to tell T-Mobile that I wanted my phone unlocked to use internationally. First they try to offer you International Roaming but of course who is such a fool ?

They pretty readily agreed to unlock it and they did so in a day.
As long as you can show a valid reason for unlocking, I think they will have to.

Also if the N900 supports tri band or quad band, then I think it will wok on any of the major carriers.
I am thing such a high-end phone should be a quad-band support phone.
Do we know anything about the bands it supports on the cellular radio ?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Talking about unlocking, I have had my phone (GSM) unlocked by he carrier (T-Mobile) while under a contract here in the USA.

I travel abroad to my home country (india) and I just had to tell T-Mobile that I wanted my phone unlocked to use internationally. First they try to offer you International Roaming but of course who is such a fool ?

As long as you can show a valid reason for unlocking, I think they will have to.

Also if the N900 supports tri band or quad band, then I think it will wok on any of the major carriers.
It will have quad-band EDGE. It's the 3G bands that we are unsure about.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
It will have quad-band EDGE. It's the 3G bands that we are unsure about.
Aha, thanks for clarifying that - didn't think about the 3G part - true.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
According to the FCC filing, the device will support 3G on 900/1700/2100. GSM/EDGE support covers 850/900/1800/1900.

Assuming, of course, that there aren't different versions for different markets...

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post

I've been a Tmobile customer for a while. In my past experience, Tmobile will unlock any phone free of charge after the first 3 or 6 months from purchase. Cant remember exactly but it's one of those.

@anidel
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
The GSM capabilities made the tablet smaller. No one would ever buy a 4" phone. May be Apple ones...
I'm not so sure about that. In my personal experience, I have lots of friends and family members who when they see my tablet they make comments like: "Wow is that phone?" then I explain what it is and show them it browsing the internet and other fun stuff... and all I get from people is comments about how they wish their phone had a bigger screen.

If I had to guess, for those to whom data capabilities are most important in a phone, a phone tablet with a 4" screen would be a dream come true.
But that's just a guess.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
That statement on the Pre is not a Palm one, but a Google one as that VERY SAME statement is being asked on my Android phone as soon as I start it up for the first time.
The problem is: On Android, you were asked; On the Pre, you are not asked.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
What is this strange and bad looking font that is being used in Fremantle anyway? Where is the marvelous Nokia font? I am a big fan of the Nokia font, I love it that many applications use it in Maemo... The xterm, for example, uses it in the toolbox. What is this skinny thing they are trying to make us swallow??
I like that font.