Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
I really really hope that I'll see released or at least announced for a release soon (this year!) a Maemo device with phone capabilities...

I'm really holding my purchase right now for a new cell upgrade as i still use an old Nokia 6020 and love my N810 though i came to the conclusion that my pocket has only space for 1 device and that the phone is going to be it, unfortunately...

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
I really really hope that I'll see released or at least announced for a release soon (this year!) a Maemo device with phone capabilities...

i came to the conclusion that my pocket has only space for 1 device and that the phone is going to be it, unfortunately...
I came to the same conclusion, about only carrying/having one pocketable device.

I would LOVE for Nokia to step up and provide me with that device. An N97 that was the size of an N810 (4.1" screen with 800x480), running Maemo, fully functional as a phone (voice, SMS, MMS) in addition to 3G data, and Dalvik runtime, would be ideal (esp. with some form of video out, charge via usb client, plus a separate usb port for host+otg). If ofono gets us closer to that reality, I'm all for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I came to the same conclusion, about only carrying/having one pocketable device.

I would LOVE for Nokia to step up and provide me with that device. An N97 that was the size of an N810 (4.1" screen with 800x480), running Maemo, fully functional as a phone (voice, SMS, MMS) in addition to 3G data, and Dalvik runtime, would be ideal (esp. with some form of video out, charge via usb client, plus a separate usb port for host+otg). If ofono gets us closer to that reality, I'm all for it.
I'm 99.9% sure we will see a Maemo phone very soon, maybe even the end of this year.

I haven't got any direct evidence for that, but I've tried to list the indirect evidence for a Maemo phone in a post on another thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=14

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I'm 99.9% sure we will see a Maemo phone very soon, maybe even the end of this year.
I'm not convinced we will, but I'll be absolutely happy if we do.

If it doesn't have Dalvik, it'll make a long hard decision process for me.

If it does halve Dalvik, it'll be a no brainer: I'll buy it the day it comes to the US (with or without T-Mobile-USA 3G).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please keep this thread on topic around oFono. There are already many threads open about idle speculation and you can even start new ones if you wish. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
If it does halve Dalvik, it'll be a no brainer: I'll buy it the day it comes to the US (with or without T-Mobile-USA 3G).
I assume you want to run android apps? Would be amazing to see Nokia include that, seeing the direction they are taking Maemo now.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Grabbed the souce and had a quick look around. There are two drivers at the moment: phonet and atmodem.

Phonet is just a skeleton with no useful code at the moment, but its presence confirms that it is/will be relevant to maemo. Atmodem is more fleshed out and contains some explicit checks for TI Calypso chips which suggests that (somewhat ironically) a Neo1973 or Freerunner might make a good ofono hacking platform.

BTW, tt's not documented in README/HACKING, but in order to run ofonod you'll need to modify the system dbus security policy to allow it to connect (see src/ofono.conf).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I would LOVE for Nokia to step up and provide me with that device. An N97 that was the size of an N810 (4.1" screen with 800x480)
That's not a million miles from what Nokia's Communicator series were intended as. They were meant to be computers in your pocket, and they even had their own custom version of Symbian (Series 80) which was designed entirely for use on Communicator phones.

The latest Communicator, the E90, was the first to use the standard S60 interface instead of Series 80, which meant it both gained and lost fans (depending on whether you preferred S60 or Series 80).

I wonder if we might one day see a Maemo-based device using the Communicator brand? It would certainly make sense as Maemo seems to be closer to the spirit of the Communicators than S60 is.

And Communicators aren't a Symbian-only range, they originally ran a totally different OS called GEOS, which was first released on desktop computers.

(Incidentally the PC/Communicator GEOS is nothing to do with the 8-bit GEOS though they were made by the same company apparently.)

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Phonet is just a skeleton with no useful code at the moment, but its presence confirms that it is/will be relevant to maemo. Atmodem is more fleshed out and contains some explicit checks for TI Calypso chips which suggests that (somewhat ironically) a Neo1973 or Freerunner might make a good ofono hacking platform.
From Linux 2.6.29:
Originally Posted by net/phonet/Kconfig
The Phone Network protocol (PhoNet) is a packet-oriented communication protocol developped by Nokia for use with its modems.

This is required for Maemo to use cellular data connectivity (if supported). It can also be used to control Nokia phones from a Linux computer, although AT commands may be easier to use.
So to me, the availability of a phonet backend doesn't necessarily mean this is targeted for Maemo, although it's obviously a logical fit. And even assuming phonet's intended for use with Maemo, it's also possible that that's just to allow them a convenient test platform, but not necessarily production-bound...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sounds a bit like phonet can replace gnokii...

Tags
announcement, intel, maemo, stack, telephony