Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Ken, Orrery is great I have loved since my neo1973, obviously a labor of love. I especially like the almanac for celestial navigation.
I have wondered if you a could create an input to let the math run backwards and enter object elevations over time with averaging in order to establish a steadily moving or stationary location and/or time. [...]
I think that's a very good idea. I myself do not do celestial navigation - I put that code in at the request of a user. So I do not have a good idea about what features would actually be useful for celestial navigators. But I'm very happy to put stuff like this in the code, because it is functionality that I don't think exists in Stellarium et al., and more importantly it's exactly the type of code you want to have in an app that has been optimized for use without a cellular data connection. When writing an app like this you must ask yourself if you're really adding any value to the phone above what the user can get merely by using their web browser and Google search. Clearly things like offline celestial navigation will be of use to some people. Furthermore, the number of people who actually do celestial navigation is probably too small to grab the attention of commercial app writers (although no doubt someone has written such apps for iOS and Android by now).

I'll think about how to do this, and I may try to get comments from you about it before I implement the code. As I said, I don't do this myself, so I need some help to figure out what the user really needs. Also, the Hildon widget set doesn't really contain a good widget for entering floating point numbers, so details about data entry have to be thought about with some care.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2013-05-21 at 18:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
b b b bump !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The Jolla device is now closer than it has ever been (not too risky to say so), at least for European people who preordered (like me). I really hope I'll be able to run Orrery on Sailfish someday, as I've not lost interest in your app!

Please don't give up the port plan, there are fans here! :]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
The Jolla device is now closer than it has ever been (not too risky to say so), at least for European people who preordered (like me). I really hope I'll be able to run Orrery on Sailfish someday, as I've not lost interest in your app!

Please don't give up the port plan, there are fans here! :]
Thanks for the very kind remarks. As long as I'm able to buy one of their phones somehow (I live in the US), I plan to port my little orrery app to it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
I have a problem with Orrery, it does not start anymore When started from terminal it says:
Wrong number (1) of numbers found on line 1 of /usr/share/orrery/orbitalElements/mercuryElements
However when I compare it to the same file on github it appears to be the same. uninstalling and re-installing also did not help. Any ideas anyone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Puh
Li'l shock in the evening!
You are right that orrery throws such error on command line when trying to start with 'orrery'.
BUT solution is to just use the menu icon.
Or:
Code:
LC_NUMERIC=en_US /usr/bin/orrery -d /usr/share/orrery/&
Then everything is fine

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-07-18 at 20:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
hmm, nope doesn't work for me. The app seems to start but disappears when started from the menu icon and when started from terminal with the command you gave it gives the same error (wrong number (1) ...etc.).

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Did you really use full command given above?
I edited above post, copy full content and paste to terminal ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Yes, the exact same
However there is a small change in the error message:
Wrong number (1) of numbers found on line 1 of /usr/share/orrery//orbitalElements/mercuryElements
(double // instead of single / when started with just "orrery" )

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Well my Orrery, still works fine.
3.8.0-1

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, orrery