Notices

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by mastac View Post
please name one that enables communication between different branded mobiles, that is reliable and popular... except the sms function of course.
Name one IM app (or protocol for which there are decent apps) for a large selection of handheld and PC platforms, that isn't available for the N900.

Sorry, but there are people I keep contact with that don't have a smart phone but have a PC. And when I am at my PC, I would prefer to multi-finger type on the PC keyboard than the N900 keyboard (and even less on a touch screen device).

I haven't "switched" IM protocols or apps in years. I use skype and jabber (2 private jabber servers, GTalk, Facebook). Because I choose platforms that have jabber support, or decent jabber clients.

I don't buy into vendor-specific, I want vendor neutral (which is why I think Meego is a better option than Android). This is why I wouldn't ever buy a BlackBerry (even though they are now very popular in my country).

It's like asking for Compuserve or AOL (the closed network before they connected to the Internet) support for the N900. What is the point when we have great internet (or in this case, widely supported IM protocol/app) support?

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
Name one IM app (or protocol for which there are decent apps) for a large selection of handheld and PC platforms, that isn't available for the N900.
that about sums it up for me too. not to rain on liveprofile's parade though, if they got a successful business model with YAPP (yet another proprietary protocol), congrats still just from the enterpreneurial viewpoint! it's difficult to get 7 digits of users in anything you do.

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
@lkravovicz & buchanmilne; I understand what you guys are saying, and perhaps liveprofile is not suited to your day to day needs, but this is not the case with me, and obviously not with quite a few persons on this thread. Most of the people that i'm in contact with own a PC but just don't have the time to log on to msn and skpe on a day to day basis, either because they are on the move or away from their desk etc. and there is no exchanging image files or sound clips with msn or skype mobile, and then there is the data usage issue, i don't have an unlimited data plan and msn esp. is not optimized for mobile platforms (compression rate is still too high). With an app like liveprofile it makes it much more convenient to keep in touch because lets face it, in this day and age no one leave their cell at home. Multi/cross platform mobile chat app. is the wave of the future, and one with facebook and twitter integration makes it all the better. The debate between closed and open source, free and non-free apps will go on for years but the fact on the matter is that people want it option to choose, that being said, liveprofile coming to the n900 is a good thing, some may like the app and some may not, some may use the app and some may not but at least we have a choice in the matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post

Sorry, but there are people I keep contact with that don't have a smart phone but have a PC. And when I am at my PC, I would prefer to multi-finger type on the PC keyboard than the N900 keyboard (and even less on a touch screen device).

I haven't "switched" IM protocols or apps in years. I use skype and jabber (2 private jabber servers, GTalk, Facebook). Because I choose platforms that have jabber support, or decent jabber clients.

I don't buy into vendor-specific, I want vendor neutral (which is why I think Meego is a better option than Android). This is why I wouldn't ever buy a BlackBerry (even though they are now very popular in my country).

It's like asking for Compuserve or AOL (the closed network before they connected to the Internet) support for the N900. What is the point when we have great internet (or in this case, widely supported IM protocol/app) support?
I don't see the point you are trying to make. Who is talking about an IM client for a PC?

We are talking about a cross platform IM client that is POPULAR, i.e. people will have it installed on their phone. It is pointless for me to have skype, msn, facebook chat et al. on my phone if nobody else I know has them on theirs or wont have it switched on. The majority of people who have a POPULAR smartphone i.e. a Blackberry or Iphone, wont have skype or MSN on their device. Apps like whatsapp and LiveProfile are designed for mobiles only as an alternative to SMS or MMS.

If i have misunderstood your post please let me know.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
he is right.

while n900 supports bunch on protocols.

no group chat, send file features built in u need a client.
live profile client for nokia could be good, it doesnt need to be integrated while they add a shortcut to menu like pidgin.

Any updates?

The Following User Says Thank You to SL65 For This Useful Post:
*bumping the thread*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post:
I think things have gone a bit quiet on this. I PMed deleet but never got a reply. Maybe he has been getting a lot of PMs!

would be nice to see some screen shots though.

The Following User Says Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
liveprofile just posted this on twitter:
We will have some exciting announcements by next week RT @eduardo9309: We want info about @LiveProfile symbian users are waitting for it.

lets see what thats all about

The Following User Says Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post:
Hi everyone.

I haven't had much time to stalk the forums lately, hard at work!

Sorry for the lack of updates. Will post more when I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to deleet For This Useful Post: