Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Originally Posted by BeIng View Post
The USB mode host/peripheral/OTG is not relevant for noBounds as long as any link is established.
Excuse me for my ignorance, then, but as you were talking about the N900 Mass-storage driver, I assumed it was using some kind of usb host mode in the inners.

My mistake came from reading the guide about usb mass-storage found here: http://www.lvr.com/mass_storage.htm

And specially the following paragraph:

"The mass-storage bulk-only protocol defines how a USB host can send commands and receive responses using the bulk transfers defined by the USB specification."

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bochum, Germany
Hi iamNarada,

thanks for your positive words!
Unfortunately, as you can imagine from my post, this I can not answer now.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by BeIng View Post
We don't scale a ready GUI-output at all, as this would lead to reduced quality! It's matter of any Application to read the information there is e.g. a FullHD display connected and re-arrange properly on it's own. This still is the case with most Apps ported form PC to N900. Btw, that's the same situation as with vertical- vs. horizontal display support: The App needs to have the right designed GUI support, which takes time.
noBounds is mostly part of the System level (X.org...), not necessarily the application level. It can be a nested X-Server like Xephyr on App-level, or an additional screen like in Xinerama and XDMX on lower level.
Very interesting. And thanks for the feedback.

May I suggest that you create some type of documentation/banner than Maemo developers can use which would certify that they've been tested and are ready for noBounds. Nothing major, but something of a checklist for those kinds of applications which would be used in such a scenario. In this way you not only get ot deploy a solid solution, but also create yourselves as an agent of mobile computing change of the fun kind.

Thanks for continuing the work.

Originally Posted by dalonso View Post
Excuse me for my ignorance, then, but as you were talking about the N900 Mass-storage driver, I assumed it was using some kind of usb host mode in the inners.

My mistake came from reading the guide about usb mass-storage found here: http://www.lvr.com/mass_storage.htm

And specially the following paragraph:

"The mass-storage bulk-only protocol defines how a USB host can send commands and receive responses using the bulk transfers defined by the USB specification."
Ok, than we had a misunderstanding.
I menat in your quotation the high-datarate access to the build-in 32GB mass-storage flash-chip for reading the to be streamed video-file.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Belng, This is VERY exciting news! So you connected it to your N900 and it worked? If you can make them by hand (and still look nice and smallish) I would definitely buy one. I'm sure many others would too. Maybe you could fund it yourself?

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Very interesting. And thanks for the feedback.

May I suggest that you create some type of documentation/banner than Maemo developers can use which would certify that they've been tested and are ready for noBounds. Nothing major, but something of a checklist for those kinds of applications which would be used in such a scenario. In this way you not only get ot deploy a solid solution, but also create yourselves as an agent of mobile computing change of the fun kind.

Thanks for continuing the work.
Excellent hint! Thank you very much. I'll keep that in my mind.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
dalonso: this doesn't work over USB, it works over WiFi.

I'm still not sure of the use-cases for this project.

If I want a network-connected HD media streaming device, I'd use something like the WD TV Live (Canadian store listing). It is relatively inexpensive and handles all sorts of media over the network...

If I want a high-resolution workstation, I probably wouldn't start with a Maemo 5 device. I would set up a small Atom-based PC running the current Ubuntu from an 8GB USB pen drive (I have two such machines in my home already), and install the productivity software that I want to use on that machine. If I need access to it from my mobile, I'd use VNC or BlueMaemo or some such thing to control the PC from my handheld.

What are some other use-cases where this technology would be better?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by qole View Post

If I want a network-connected HD media streaming device, I'd use something like the WD TV Live (Canadian store listing). It is relatively inexpensive and handles all sorts of media over the network...

If I want a high-resolution workstation, I probably wouldn't start with a Maemo 5 device. I would set up a small Atom-based PC running the current Ubuntu from an 8GB USB pen drive (I have two such machines in my home already), and install the productivity software that I want to use on that machine. If I need access to it from my mobile, I'd use VNC or BlueMaemo or some such thing to control the PC from my handheld.

But if all you had were people who are field workers who spend little time at their desks, leaving a monitor and keyboard at their desk, with the N900 playing the role of PC works there.

But as you say, you could start with a small Atom-based PC, or you could start from the N900, and take the 8GB pen drives and push those funds into either extra internal storage, or even network storage.

EDIT: Though they'd not do this, I would make it a requirement for the entire Maemo dept within Nokia to use this setup daily. Beside getting many of the usage kinks worked out because of day to day use, it would allow for more functional applications and processes to be explored by the very group trying to kick mobile computing up a notch.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Hi Qole,

when the noBounds project was first advertised in maemo.org (http://www.internettablettalk.com/20...ounds-project/) the following could be read:

"The project aims to output video at FullHD (1920×1080p) at 30 frames per second (faster on partial display changes) via USB or WLAN"

Join this "USB" with that "mass-storage" and that other "working on N900" ..... and I thought it was some kind of "Displaylink" technology.

Well, I suppose I'm not understanding how it really works.

I will wait, then.

But anyway, an interesting and innovative project.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia

Personally, I'd find it pretty cool if I could utilise my pocket computer (read N900) on a big screen when I'm away from my desktop (say in a hotel or...). This kind of setup potentially negates the need to carry a laptop while enabling all of the benefits of large screen computing. The streaming media thing is also desirable but not the end-game as I see it.