Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, we have decided to close the Maemo Summit registration for now. http://maemo.org/news/events/maemo_summit_2009/

We have planned for an audience of 300 participants, a number that was hit during this weekend. The trend of registrations is growing and we need to do replanning of budget to see what can we offer in good condition to how many participants.

We are opening a waiting list to allow people keeping registering. Once we agree on the hard limit of participants of the Summit, those in the waiting list will be accepted by strict order of registration.

Watch this space for more news.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
The waiting list is available here: http://maemo.org/news/events/maemo_s..._waiting_list/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Can we send an email to all the participants at http://maemo.org/news/events/maemo_s.../#participants in the lines of

The Maemo Summit registration has reached the limit of 300 participants we had reached initially. We are re-planning everything to be able to host more participants. A waiting list has been created (link) to have an idea of how many people is willing to join us.

If you registered some time ago but now you are sure that you will not attend to the event, please contact us to delete your registration (((or delete your registration - link, if that is possible))). This way you will help accommodating everybody.

If your participation in the Maemo Summit is confirmed then please ignore this email. See you in Amsterdam!
(written in a rush, improvements welcome)

It would be also good to go through the pending sponsorship requests. If you are busy and need help I don't mind helping as I have gone through this in some events in the past, including the previous Maemo Summit.

We have done the numbers and we can get up to 375 people registered. That would be a hard limit. All these people would get a badge and the entrance to the event and party would be restricted to those able to show it in the entrance.

Once all this is clear we can re-open the Maemo Summit registration and move the people in the waiting list. If we reach the limit of 375 participants then the registration will be definitely closed.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I know I'm stating the obvious, but since I am among those whose plans for attending the summit have switched 180 degrees, I hope we can allow for a "lucky losers" list too.

That is, when one person with a registration learns he or she can't attend, by notifying the keeper of the list then the 376th person on the waiting list can be given the chance to attend.

As I said, I'm lucky enough to be able to attend, even though originally my schedule would have prevented that. So I'm willing to help out on this, if it's not already been accounted for.

RogerS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Mmm... we can certainly re-open the waiting list if the 375 slots get filled but... let's discuss this if we do approach that limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
X-Fade, please move the people in the waiting list to the "canonical" registration list. Then we can reopen the registration as usual but having this hard limit of 375 participants.

Let's keep the waiting list somewhere just in case we still need it.

Thanks!

I've transferred the registrations and re-opened the original registration.

Can the council please process the pending requests asap. At the current registration rate we run out of registrations in about 2 days. I'd imaging that not everybody will be accepted, so that would free up some more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Last Sunday we reached the limit of 375 participants. I basically edited the page hiding the link, since it was Sunday and I didn't know a better way to close the registration.

Since then 2 people have managed to register, and we will have to reject them down unless they are a legitimate exception. We have still some slots until 400 participants left for those exceptions:

- Approved speakers that hadn't registered before knowing that their sessions were approved.

- Approved journalists and bloggers.

- Exceptional maemo.org VIP members that couldn't confirm registration before (e.g. because of pending visa)

- Exceptional Nokia partners that couldn't confirm registration before (e.g. because of pending travel approval from their companies)

- People directly involved in the organization joining the team at this late point.

I will be the responsible of handling these exceptions. I got already one email with a request for registration that I will have to request since it doesn't fit in any of the types of exceptions.

Rejecting potential participants is not funny but everybody needs to understand that we have a limit of participants defined by the limits of space in the Summit premises and related security policies and insurances.

We have doubled the Summit dimensions in all senses (participants, sessions, surface, budget...) and this probably the highest limit for any sustainable growth this year.

All the sessions in the 3 main rooms will be recorded with video and everybody is invited to report about the sessions and the event through their preferred channels. Indeed, it's not the same as being there but please understand that this is the best we can offer after 3 months of open registration and a hard limit now reached.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-09-22 at 05:33.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
By the way, somone proposed to have the waiting list open again. I wonder how useful that is, considering that we are giving ZERO guarantees of acceptance and most people need to organize their travel beforehand.

Still, we haven't sent yet an email to all the participants registered and maybe if we did so there would be someone realizing that can't make it and unregistering. If you still think having such list is a good idea please create a wiki page to manage it and we will link it from the registration page with all the disclaimers.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Last Sunday we reached the limit of 375 participants. I basically edited the page hiding the link, since it was Sunday and I didn't know a better way to close the registration.
There was a button in the midgard bar -> 'Close this registration now'. I've clicked it for you now I didn't realise that the registration wasn't actually closed properly, sorry.

I can open the waiting list if you want, although we don't want to give false hope?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post: