I'm not sure I agree on the 2g vs 3g power thingy, and I also don't think that the cellular modem was left out of the N770 (which I have) and successors until the N900 for that reason. I rather think that the internet tablet series was a test vehicle for Nokia, and the openness was somewhat scary for network operators (don't forget, when your phone connects to the network, it becomes part of it, and would you let an army of hackers onto your home network just like that?), so it took them a few generations to come to a point where they could say, ok let's go for a system with cellular as well...

On a good cellular modem system, 2G standby takes about 2mA (min average current), and since recently, 3G barely takes more.
When the first iPhones came out, they were 2G only, since Infineon (and others) were struggling to get the 3G current down for idle, which would have left users with less than one day phone usage, not even counting using 3G data...

When left in place, a cellular modem may not transmit any data for hours, but that depends on the network settings (operator configuration).

If you're at the edge of 3G reception, the 3G transmission power may cost a lot, but the same is true for 2G - although cells are potentially lots bigger.

Now, when just idling but moving around, with 3G or 2G, your phone will have to switch basestations just as much - it always has to connect to the closest basestation. This may cost a bit more on 3G, but again, probably not that significantly more anymore. (I'll have a look if I find some reports on that..)
What will make a difference is receiving and transmitting data, but there I think that if the provider gives the bandwidth and the link between cellphone and base station has the bandwidth, 3g may actually cost less per kB that gets sent/received.
So when doing the same thing, I don't think that 3G will consume more per se.

Considering all these factors that play a part, I wouldn't be surprised if some will find hardly any difference when leaving their phone to 3G vs 2G only, and others do.
So something to try and figure out...

As for wifi, that's easy to compare, since you can just put your phone in the same spot at home and leave it on for a few days, and leave it off except for when you sync. Be sure to keep the display on for as short as possible though...

tl;dr
It all depends, just try it out and find out what is best for you. Nothing beats the scientific method!

The Following User Says Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
[...]
thanks for the clarifications
i myself only have Skype & e-mail checking on when moving around, thus 2G is more then enough.
3G, even unused (thus only the phone function) kills the battery in less then a day with the IP traffic (same as above) going over WLAN.
but that's for a N900
hopefully the N9 has been improved

Recently after updating to PR1.2 I've had very very strange drainage. On 2 occassions I basically left my phone in the car, once overnight and once during work so more or less for 7-8 hours.

I had left it in Flight Mode both times, screen turned down so even the low power clock wasn't on. Yet when I went to my car the phone was off completely. I don't know why, it makes no sense to me.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
I can confirm it. After the update, I have less to about 1 hour only two signal bars. This is really crazy. Why is that? Apps and Modifiktationen are the same as before.

Edit:
the only difference that I have made ​​is that I've installed the ICQ and MSN Messenger on OVI store app. Previously I've done over the terminal method. Is it possible that?

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
same improvement on my N9, too...
after clean flash I´m experiencing much better battery life than in PR1.1...