Posts: 68 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Repeat, read the thread, format on the n900. I am using 32 64 128 and now 200GB without any problems at all.
Ok. That is promising. However could I please have more detail? I know you said to format it in the N900, but did you use mkfs.vfat or did you use the File Manager format option? And did you load more than 32gig worth of files (videos? music? what?) into the card? And how did you load it all? Via the N900 itself and Windows? Or did you pull out the card, put it into an SD card reader, USB and then copy the files? What OS did you use to copy the files into the card?
Sorry to nag, but I need to know exactly how you've managed to get the N900 to recognise, and work with a micro SDHC 64gig card.
The issues with mine are that, yes I can format the card in both the File Manager format and xTerm and the card is "working" but when I load files into it (still in the N900) via WinXP, disconnect, etc... the N900 then sets it to read only.
Help!
Oh and I am running Power Kernel 53 and no overclocking
Thanks

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by elcaito View Post
The issues with mine are that, yes I can format the card in both the File Manager format and xTerm and the card is "working" but when I load files into it (still in the N900) via WinXP, disconnect, etc... the N900 then sets it to read only.
Have you tried the card anywhere else? In a USB card reader in Windows, perhaps?

Your symptoms sound exactly like a dud card. Many memory cards sold on eBay, Amazon etc are smaller capacity cards sold as double or quadruple the real capacity. They will pretend they are bigger than they really are and you can format them to that size, but the moment you fill them with actual content, you reveal their true capacity.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I actually don't have a card reader with me, but I'll do that test on a PC and see what the actual capacity is. Thanks for that tip

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
@elcaito - i'll get back here with details when I have a little more time...

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
using a 128GB card in mine. as has been instructed format on N900. i just went into file manager and long-pressed on SD card. the option to format then comes up!

Never had any problems with a 64GB Samsung formatted via Ubuntu PC. 4 partitions (swap,ED, FAT32 storage, and truecrypt)

if i remember right, i had issues with my card. probably had to use parted or something to format the card to fat32. normal memory card GUI failed to format it and the card disappeared.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Have you tried the card anywhere else? In a USB card reader in Windows, perhaps?

Your symptoms sound exactly like a dud card. Many memory cards sold on eBay, Amazon etc are smaller capacity cards sold as double or quadruple the real capacity. They will pretend they are bigger than they really are and you can format them to that size, but the moment you fill them with actual content, you reveal their true capacity.
Is there another way to find out about the real capacity of these sort of memory cards beside filling them with data?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
Is there another way to find out about the real capacity of these sort of memory cards beside filling them with data?
Code:
lshal | grep media.size
will show you the size of the sdcards, internal and external.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Michaaa, you're a legend!
Mine did turn out to be a fake card. 8gig class 4 to be exact, not 64gig class 10!!!
Don't buy from wish.com people. They sell fakes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elcaito For This Useful Post: