Active Topics

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
If watermarks are an issue, I'd suggest making your own wallpaper (which, you are, so that's good). But, don't expect people to "give" you their art without some mention of where it came from. Art is different than apps in that art doesn't have an "About" screen. Anyway, that's just my opinion as well. Everyone always wants something for free.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
If watermarks are an issue, I'd suggest making your own wallpaper (which, you are, so that's good). But, don't expect people to "give" you their art without some mention of where it came from. Art is different than apps in that art doesn't have an "About" screen. Anyway, that's just my opinion as well. Everyone always wants something for free.
Tim
I tend to agree with Tim. It is unfortunate that the n900 doesn't have much of a taskbar which would conceal the watermark or signature for most of the time, as I believe this is a good compromise that is often used for desktop wallpapers - the watermark/website would only be visible at boot up, but would retain the authors name on it if it gets shared around.

Personally, I'll be (very) happy if the wallpapers there are all watermark free, it will save me the time to discard the watermarked ones...
I see watermarked wallpapers a bit like a curse, ruining my perfect image with that thing. I don't mean that it's wrong to put a watermark, just that it feels like that in my eyes, making me discard the image.
And I've the sensation we'll see enough non-watermarked wallpapers anyway.. ^^

A very nice website for wallpapers is also: www.socwall.com
of course, these images all need adaptation in dimensions.

To the webmaster: is it possible to add a voting system? just like "+1" and "-1" under the image? (as in the website I just linked)

Last edited by thecursedfly; 2009-10-05 at 17:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Nice work, code177

I'm quite taken with the "Calypso" panorama....and the "Aurora" one too

Last edited by Hogwash; 2009-10-05 at 17:22.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
I'm quite taken with the "Calypso" panorama
"Uploaded into Space Wallpapers By thecursedfly "
you're welcome!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Oops...I clearly wasn't paying attention, thecursedfly

Thanks for contributing that scenic view dude....I'm a space geek.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Just had a look around on the site. Looks great and there are already some nice wallpapers there (I liked 'Calypso' too, thanks thecursedfly).

I had a thought -- wouldn't it be sweet if the 'loopable' sets were tagged somehow, so you could see quickly which are loopable and which are not? I bet those will be quite popular but it isn't always easy to identify them...

Bonus points if you could click somewhere to bring up a list with all loopable sets.

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-10-05 at 18:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
how can i add wallpapers there ? i already have like 50

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by overfloat
Your disclaimer makes it sound like the wallpapers are all creative commons "Everything else copyright n900Wallpapers.com, or Creative Commons licensed where specified."

What if a user wants to make a wallpaper available on your site but not release the CC rights?
Good spotting, I didn't even notice that's how it could be read. I will amend this tonight so that it more accurately describes the appropriate IP rights.

There is a CC license on the site that cover the above situation, specifically: Attribution + Noncommercial + NoDerivs (by-nc-nd).

Anything more restrictive than this would legally prevent people from actually using the wallpapers on their n900.

Originally Posted by thecursedfly
To the webmaster: is it possible to add a voting system? just like "+1" and "-1" under the image? (as in the website I just linked)
Given how much traffic the site is getting, I'm inclined to do this sooner rather than later. Analytics is reporting just over 660 uniques and 4,150 page views within the last 24 hours.

Originally Posted by nymajoak
Bonus points if you could click somewhere to bring up a list with all loopable sets.
If I get time, I will try and implement a tags system tonight. No promises, because I have a lot on, but I will do my best. That should solve the looping issue and also give a few new ways of sorting/searching for content.

Originally Posted by jack6428
how can i add wallpapers there ? i already have like 50
Awesome!
Click the upload link, it's on the top left under the logo. Or go directly to http://www.n900wallpapers.com/upload

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Also - BIG thanks to everyone who has uploaded wallpapers so far You guys are awesome!

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, masturbatory fantasy pics, n900, themes, wallpapers