Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by specc View Post
I know that's the politically correct thing to say here, but the N9 is not the best thing Nokia has going. The N9 is good looking, but it is slow and unresponsive, annoyingly unresponsive way too often. Swipe is a nice idea, but in practice it needs lots of improvements to be really good. A blend of swipe and Belle could be a nice thing.

PureView is currently the best thing Nokia has going. But even though I personally wouldn't mind PureView on Symbian at all, Symbian is a dead end platform in free fall at the moment. It would be better for Nokia to make an Android device with PureView. Just think about it, a top end Android, quad core etc with PureView would be a instant hit.

Nokia is soon to release an Apollo device with PureView. That could be a smash hit, but it could also fail miserably.

The N9 weather they like it or not it's the best thing Nokia has. PureView is just a camera technology you can't sell phones just on that, it would be a killer feature to an already well established smartphone like the iPhone or the Galaxy but no one is going to by a new coming phone just for Pureview. Symbian is at free fall as android would be at free fall if Larry Page had announced he would be dropping android for win phail. Android or any other OS at the moment can't support pureview Nokia themselves said that a win phail with pureview will come in mid 2013

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
The N9 weather they like it or not it's the best thing Nokia has.
Best based on what? It's not sales. That's the important deciding factor right now.

PureView is just a camera technology you can't sell phones just on that, it would be a killer feature to an already well established smartphone like the iPhone or the Galaxy but no one is going to by a new coming phone just for Pureview.
I actually have to disagree here. Wimpy cellphone cameras frustrate me sometimes - especially when I don't have my point-and-click camera with me. Too much noise, too little contrast, too washed out. Not that I need high resolution pics to put up on Instagram, but I need a decent camera sometimes.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
[Sales t]hat's the important deciding factor right now.
The N9 is best all around device Nokia has by far right now (even though I personally wouldn't trade my N900 for an N9), sales not withstanding. You can't expect a device to sell well when it is being restricted (by orders from Elop himself) from being sold in several markets, when it is talked down as an experimental phone, when it is not advertized, and in many other ways sabotaged. Right?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
The N9 is best all around device Nokia has by far right now (even though I personally wouldn't trade my N900 for an N9), sales not withstanding. You can't expect a device to sell well when it is being restricted (by orders from Elop himself) from being sold in several markets, when it is talked down as an experimental phone, when it is not advertized, and in many other ways sabotaged. Right?
In another thread, I stated that Nokia would have to open up the sales to other areas. I failed to state that explicitly here.

And I still am not under the impression that the N9 sold over 2 million - those are Samsung Galaxy S levels and we heard when they did that in so many different press releases. Nokia - under Elop - has tampered the hype and numbers surrounding the N9; the executive board allowed that too at the detriment of Nokia as a whole.

WP7 lovers... you're also asking for patience for WP8. Elop's had more than a year, this turn of events are seriously bad for Nokia, nothing is looking good for them. They sold 1 million Lumia 900's you say? They used to sell 5 million N95's at their heyday, more than that on other devices.
No, Nokia did not sell 1 million Lumia 900. They basically gave the phone away at a loss. This is Elop's strategy of desperation to buy market share. What it does to the bottomline is another matter but Elop can always convince the imbecile Board that Nokia is "in transition".

Originally Posted by specc View Post
I know that's the politically correct thing to say here, but the N9 is not the best thing Nokia has going. The N9 is good looking, but it is slow and unresponsive, annoyingly unresponsive way too often. Swipe is a nice idea, but in practice it needs lots of improvements to be really good. A blend of swipe and Belle could be a nice thing.
I'm not getting this "slow and unresponsive" experience you keep saying. My N9 is fluid and smooth even when I multitask many apps. Maybe you should do a device reset, reflash the os or take your N9 to Nokia Care for a check-up. This "slow and unresponsive" experience is very alien to N9. I don't know what your expectations are but have you tried using WP7 beyond the superficial menu scrolling operation? Apps take their time to load and multitasking is a pain.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
No, Nokia did not sell 1 million Lumia 900.
I don't believe it either; however without any evidence otherwise, I don't believe how many Nokia N9's have been sold either.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
I'm not getting this "slow and unresponsive" experience you keep saying. My N9 is fluid and smooth even when I multitask many apps. Maybe you should do a device reset, reflash the os or take your N9 to Nokia Care for a check-up. This "slow and unresponsive" experience is very alien to N9. I don't know what your expectations are but have you tried using WP7 beyond the superficial menu scrolling operation? Apps take their time to load and multitasking is a pain.

Untrue for the most part. N9 has much lag in MANY places. Way more than WP7...and I've tried QUITE a few and it takes longer to open apps as well. Have you even used a WP7 phone???
It is much more responsive and consistently so (much more than n9 at least).....but that is not the issue really....it's capability of the platform.
WP7 is just not as capable, end of story
Please state facts, and don't let your blind hate spread fud.

Best based on what? It's not sales. That's the important deciding factor right now.

Did you see Tomi's estimates for Q1 N9 vs Lumia ?

Originally Posted by caa View Post
Did you see Tomi's estimates for Q1 N9 vs Lumia ?
Hadn't seen that, but that smacks of too much estimation than it does concrete, authentic numbers.

That's my current problem. It's not to say that what he says doesn't have merit; but until those numbers come from Nokia - or even from their quarterly reports - then I have to err on the side of caution and say that I cannot fully trust those numbers.

Not fully. But thanks for pointing that out.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun