Poll: What is YOUR take on Nokia, Maemo, and the repositories?
Poll Options
What is YOUR take on Nokia, Maemo, and the repositories?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
I chose the worst choice (firmware and software are crap) only with the hope of getting Nokia to pay attention to what is going on here. Wishful thinking :-).

Mine seems solid hardware wise as it has only needed to be rebooted twice in about 2 months since I got it with it running 24/7 and at least 12 hours of that a day on the charger here on the desktop.

Is it "perfect"? Is it "Total Crap"? No to both. I've been working in the computer field since the 1960s and I have NEVER *EVER* found, seen or used a perfect computer (even mainframes had occasional problem ;-).

Does it do everything I want and need - nope, not yet and neither did the 0.99 release of linux :-) but the recent releases have finally gotten me to suggest it for a desktop for the average idiot :-) and quit saying it is only useful for servers admin'd by ubergeeks :-).

We are lucky to live in an area of great progress in individual computing (if the govs don't get panicked and make them illegal) and great progress is not the same as being perfect. Give it time.

As a friend once told me while I was *****ing about my trs-80 model 1, "If you want something that is as simple as a toaster, then all it is going to do is make toast".

Yes, it could be better and in time it will be. IMO even where it is, it beats bloody hell out of my old paper organizer. From two FULL briefcase full of paper and a packing crate with a terminal and interfaces and acoustical coupler in it to a shirtpocket computer doing almost all the same things is rather amazing :-).

Or as another friend told me YEARS ago: "You can always tell the pioneers, they are the ones with the arrows in their backs." :-).

All in due_Time(); Perspective, for what it is worth...

Last edited by wv9k; 2008-01-07 at 18:13. Reason: Choice of words...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wv9k For This Useful Post:
No vote here. I'm generally happy with both the N800 and the 770 I bought for my wife. Like many, I'd vote for 'fix the repositories,' had it been a choice.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Greece
i am waiting for ubuntu mobile if it works for n800.....
os2008 is very buggy

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
No vote here. I'm generally happy with both the N800 and the 770 I bought for my wife. Like many, I'd vote for 'fix the repositories,' had it been a choice.
Sorry I didn't add that as a choice. I would have, but thought you could toss it in under one of the bottom three (the last choice would have worked.)
I loved/hated my N800 for a few weeks. Then again it seems that I got a lemon, so I returned it and will buy a WM device again.
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar
*A Dissector of Logical Thought
*A Cynical Comic of Society

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
I loved/hated my N800 for a few weeks. Then again it seems that I got a lemon, so I returned it and will buy a WM device again.
Well, I'm sure some of us appreciate you sacrificing the time to stick around and help, Nxxx tablet or no.

man after 1 year ago from owning a nokia 770 (which i only owned for only two weeks and then sold it on this very forum because it was too slow for my tastes) and my brand new n800 coming in the mail, its tough to wonder how my expreince is going to be when I'm going to be using it for full time school note taking (very simple notes, nothing crazy like math or a major science) and taking advantage of the wifi around my campus. I visit web sites on a daily basis way more than I did last year so I feel the n800 should suit my needs now. The psp is a JOKE compared to the n770 however back in the day it was 400 bucks so I couldn't swallow the money. Now for $220 I upgraded to a n800 so I'm hoping I can tune it for my liking.

But these threads about "SLOW" "BuggY" "HOW" "WHY" on the tablet OS hasn't changed. My experiences with linux has always been a frustrating one and I hope when I do get to mess around with my n800 I will not feel the same way as I did last year, or what many of these users claim.

However, it was the enlightening of many other threads that made me want to pursue a n800, mainly because I like the amount of hardware for the price I paid. The software can always get better with age, but not hardware.

plus tell me a device you can pay that can browse the internet and be slided away in your pocket? NOTHING the nokia 800/810 series has NO COMPETITOR you will not find a price point that can browse the internet as good as this unit can THAT CAN FIT IN YOUR POCKET.

that was indeed the selling point

Last edited by philmcneal; 2008-01-08 at 01:56.