Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
^ fusion garage grid 4 and grid 10

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Anybody even remember that one company that released this huge hyping event that all the blogs caught year or two ago. They made a tablet and phone that looked okish, whole company was forgotten 2 months after, i wonder if they sold any.
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/17/2...-pr-team-quits

Edit: slow...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I wonder if Nokia will sue to stop this since this might encroach on their IP
What IP are you referring to? Copyright? The software stack (kernel, GNU, X, Qt etc) is Free Software. Trademarks? The MeeGo trademark belongs to the Linux Foundation. Patents? Jolla would be no more or less vulnerable than any other company in this space (modulo that Nokia has granted a patent licence to the Linux kernel), so any suit targetted at a small startup of ex-employees would likely be seen as vexatious and thrown out immediately.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Poland, Tricity
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Without even going into ergonomics, tactile feedback etc, there's no way around this: an on-screen keyboard eats badly into display real estate, and a finger-friendly one doubly so. If all a user wants to type are one-liners (SMS, twitter and whatnot) that may be acceptable, but for the rest of us a physical keyboard is a hard (pun intended) requirement.
There is a way around this and there is a prototype even which I've tried - you can have invisible keyboard (with larg "buttons"). That you can write without masking the screen. It's called SnapKeys... From what I've seen just now it's even beyond the prototype stage.

I'm guessing it's not perfect with all langauges but I think someone might come up with a solution to this.

I'm happy for this news. Always a shame to see a good thing die. Would love to see what they come up with. I wouldn't even mind seeing a joining of Mozilla's boot2gecko

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
im really very happy. who knows may be its Nokia who are funding them as they can't manufacture MeeGo smartphones directly because of Microsoft deal.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by lma View Post
What IP are you referring to? Copyright? The software stack (kernel, GNU, X, Qt etc) is Free Software. Trademarks? The MeeGo trademark belongs to the Linux Foundation. Patents? Jolla would be no more or less vulnerable than any other company in this space (modulo that Nokia has granted a patent licence to the Linux kernel), so any suit targetted at a small startup of ex-employees would likely be seen as vexatious and thrown out immediately.
Have you looked in all those patent fud lately from both samsung, nokia, apple, microsoft lately?

There is PLENTY IP's big companys can use to hurt JollaMobile if they want... Its not only software....

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
im really very happy. who knows may be its Nokia who are funding them as they can't manufacture MeeGo smartphones directly because of Microsoft deal.
Just to clarify, Jolla is an independent company financed by a group of international and domestic private investors.

source:@JollaMobile

Originally Posted by eccenux View Post
There is a way around this and there is a prototype even which I've tried - you can have invisible keyboard (with larg "buttons"). That you can write without masking the screen. It's called SnapKeys... From what I've seen just now it's even beyond the prototype stage.
We tried similar things over the years. The problem is that it has to be at least somewhat visible in order to see where you're typing, and so it obscures things you want to see/read.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
it went from when i saw 214 followers to 1,915 Followers and counting xD

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla