Poll: What is YOUR take on Nokia, Maemo, and the repositories?
Poll Options
What is YOUR take on Nokia, Maemo, and the repositories?

Just as the topic says, please vote on your satisfaction with Nokia and the related support involved with the devices. We need to send Nokia a message that we are not satisfied with it's involvement if that's how you feel. Sorry in advance if this has already been covered

The main reason for this post is to get Nokia to realize that average users (non-technical) are having myriad problems understanding Maemo and the repositories. Secondarily, even technically capable people such as myself have found many bugs that still need to be ironed out, that make the device in IT2008 form without ANY other installations of software very unreliable. I love the device and software if ONLY it would be reliable!

My own serious drawbacks to IT2008:

*Microb browser fails to connect after browsing for longer than a couple minutes, and needs to be closed and restarted to function again.
*SD cards unmount (do not show up) intermittently, even during song playback stored on card (both slots do this on occasion.)
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar
*A Dissector of Logical Thought
*A Cynical Comic of Society

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Last edited by zeusenergy; 2008-01-07 at 01:04.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I did vote, but the poll seems somewhat pointless to me: Everybody and their grandma knows ITOS2008 is just a heap of bugs that by some miracle of statistics manages to install itself.

Whatever Nokia is or isn't doing to it, I fear it will turn out to be their Vista...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I would have liked to have voted, but I don't think Maemo is perfect, but it's better than most people seem to think.

I've never seen the bugs you've mentioned here despite using my tablet about 4-8 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past year. Perhaps you've got a defective?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
i didn't vote because there was no category for fixing the repositorys. I like the OS just fine.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
I can't vote either, there is no accurate choice for me. I haven't seen those bugs either, and I find the OS2008 experience to be quite satisfactory. No it's not perfect, but as fsr as browsing, email etc, I have had no problems. I am satisfied with the whole deal..

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I would vote... but my Nokia N810 was sent to Nokia on December 22nd, one week after I got it and it's now January 6th and it's still "missing" despite knowing who signed for it at Nokia's Repair Center, having it tracked via FedEx, and having an empty box here and intermittent problems installing during the 'Great Maemo Bandwidth Shortage' shortly after Canola 2 Beta was announced.

Perfect. Yeah.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I would have liked to have voted, but I don't think Maemo is perfect, but it's better than most people seem to think.

I've never seen the bugs you've mentioned here despite using my tablet about 4-8 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past year. Perhaps you've got a defective?
You know, it may be so. Even with perfect browsing, the SD card issue ruins it for me. And it doesn't seem to be a common issue. I might just return it after all.
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I would vote... but my Nokia N810 was sent to Nokia on December 22nd, one week after I got it and it's now January 6th and it's still "missing" despite knowing who signed for it at Nokia's Repair Center, having it tracked via FedEx, and having an empty box here and intermittent problems installing during the 'Great Maemo Bandwidth Shortage' shortly after Canola 2 Beta was announced.

Perfect. Yeah.
LMFAO @ 'Great Maemo Bandwidth Shortage'!
It was an epic story of pain and misery, That.
*A Pathological Non-Liar

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Seriously though, Maemo and Nokia needs a better framework for the repositories. I've never been "that happy" with their solution, but for something that's not admittedly fully a "typical user product", then as far as it goes, it's just ok.

I've not had the same errors as you in the browser. And that's with me still running my sessions through Privoxy and hitting multiple sites while either when I shouldn't be or when I'm surfing the web vigorously while in "the office"...

Either way, you're seeing a few odd things. The rest... it's not ready for primetime yet.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I did vote, but the poll seems somewhat pointless to me: Everybody and their grandma knows ITOS2008 is just a heap of bugs that by some miracle of statistics manages to install itself.

Whatever Nokia is or isn't doing to it, I fear it will turn out to be their Vista...
Yep. So far I think it's more like their Windows ME!
It's only Nokia that's failing here. A little organization and support is all we ask
*A Pathological Non-Liar