Hi, I really don't have one of these yet, and am not sure if I am,
I was wondering if this was the right thing for me. I want to surf the net, play some games, watch movies, and play music. I am trying to decide on buying the ipod touch or the nokia n800 for this. Could you guys please help me decide because all the things I see seem back and forth, one says nokia's good at music and video, the next says it is lacking in music and video playability. thank you for anything

n800 is much better if you want more storage or if you want to browse the web.

For less than the cost of the 16GB Touch, you can buy an n800 with 32GB of storage.

The wifi on the n800 is faster(apple slows it down to save battery) and it has a MUCH better screen.

thanks, could you also maybe tell me if it plays movies well and music, because that is the main thing that every other review seems different on. one says it is good the next will say it is crappy

The ipod is probably better at music, especially if sound quality and battery life are your main concerns. But if that is all you care about just get a nano.

As for movies, the ipod is only able to play h264 movies. The n800 is more flexible I think. The bigger screen is a huge plus. Also, the ipod touch LCD doesn't look as good as the one on the iphone and it has a few quality issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to drizek For This Useful Post:
ok thank you I think I will just get n800

I think you are making the right choice, but you might want to wait for a second opinion...

How much linux experience do you have?

you take the question to the wrong place. This is internettablettalk forum and all about the internet tablet and Nokia internet tablet in particular. We are all pro-Nokia here. Nobody here would advise you to get any thing other than nokia tablet.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
no matter which one you get you'll have to re-encode at least some of your movies to make them playable. when presented with a movie that is optimized for the device i would say that both of them erfoorm about equally, which is to say they play back the mohie perfectly. the ipod touch has much better music management though and syncs to a computer much more easily.

-john

after playing with the iphone safrai for like half an hour i concluded that the 3.5 inches and the low res hurts my eyes like hell since i read a lot. as well the wifi does feel slow, i feel it could be much faster.

can't wait for the n800, i feel the apple UI feels so limited... like if you try to mutitask on it it starts to feel sluggish. At least with the n800 you can tune your desktop.

and the iphone keyboard does suck, i remember the nokia 770 button were much bigger and more finger friendly.

glad i made the right choice! apple is all show and no go.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
(Sorry to double post.)

I'd like to add a general note to anyone thinking of dropping $200+ on a gadget like this: Go to a physical store and try one out! In the case of the N800 see if they'll let you take a movie on an SD card to test out video playback. Just ask the salesdude and they'll generally be ok with it. But seriously: Don't buy something like this without trying it first! So much of whether you hate it or not depends on personal preference about user interface.

-John